DVD/VCR combo - universal remote programming

I have a Phillips DVD/VCR combo which I lost the remote control. I was able to program a universal remote to on/off its power. The remote then can operate the forward/reverse features of the VCR ONLY. Ironically the VCR side has those buttons for manual pushing whereas the DVD side only has the play/stop buttons. I've been trying to set the universal remote using aux to store possible DVD remote code but so far no sucess, assuming the DVD features operate on a different remote code. I contacted Phillips and was told to buy the remote from them ($27.95) which is like 1/3 cost of the orginal package. Next time I will be SURE to buy the combo that has the buttons for both.

Reply to
tedqn

Never buy a combo.

And most stuff now needs the remote to use all functions. But some $3 universal remotes can do almost everything.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

ANd of course, the trick is to get the universal remote before the original remote gets lost or broken. Then keep the original in a safe place, in case some function is needed at some future point. The universals may not cover all functions, but usually seem fine for the common things.

If you wait till the original is lost or broken, then you may not get those less common functions back.

And of course, so long as you have the original remote working, you can use it to teach a learning remote. I have no idea how well those work, but since they learn, they can't be so useful if the original is lost or broken.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

set the universal