OhMyGod! IT'S UP TO $326!!!

I didn't think it would get much past $200! The sky's the limit!! And there's still five hours to go!!

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

Which raises the question of whether I can double the price of my audio equipment if it contains Vintage Semiconductors. NOS J112's in my compressor, just like the originals. Dooood.

Reply to
Walter Harley

You seem to have an unhealthy fascination with these -- or are you really the seller, trying to drum up interest?

I'm tempted to dig down to the bottom of _my_ antique transistor stash and start the auction, but they're all Philcos, and some of them have (gasp!) _four digit_ numbers.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Humm. I better not have that clear out just yet.

CWatters

Hi, I have some old OCx transistors. Are they antique?

Regards,

Pieter Hoeben

Reply to
Pieter Hoeben

Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

No, but I'd consider buying them if the prices was $100 or less. But the winning bid is $878!!! Unbelievable!!

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

Put 'em on Ebay and find out!

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

Interesting historic link with some specs shown about the first transistors, by Bell Telephone.

As for these old type transistors, I was working for a company that about 15 years ago, the discarded these. Many did this practice with these old germanimum devices.

As for paying hundreds of dollars for these, I would not believe this without seeing it. They are interesting, but I cannot see collectors paying out this type of cash for these. Maybe when they get to be a few hundred years old, then they may be worth some good cash. (Maybe I am out to lunch in this...)

Jerry G.

--
"Watson A.Name \"Watt Sun - the Dark Remover\""  wrote in
message news:...

-- snip --

You could probably sell blank sheets of paper for $50 each on ebay if you wrote the advert well enough.

I understand that buyers sometimes back out of these bids though -- I wonder if all those absurd prices really hold in the long run?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Do it, since a credible winning bidder payed over $800!!!!! (By credible, I refer to a bidder with over 400 positive feedbacks, and no negatives.)

It's also inspired me to dig out my 1950/60 component junkbox and put some of this stuff up for auction on eBay, rather than putting it out for the trash. I have an original RCA labs prototype of what becaume the 6198 vidicon tube...still functional. That alone should be worth a few bucks! Also, many early transistors from the circa 1958 era.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Tim Wescott tava com a mulhegada quando eu cheguei gritando:

And what would be an use for those old transistors/diodes? Just collecting? Using in repair of old equipment? Modelling them in PSpice?

--
Chaos Master® - Porto Alegre, Brazil!
Remove the "IHATESPAM" from my e-mail address to get a valid address.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chaos Master

Yes. You can sell a bag of shit on eBay, as long as you successfully convey to bidders that it's /rare/ shit.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have, on several occasions, put up pieces of common (VIC-20-related, mostly - some Sinclair and Atari stuff also, on occasion) vintage computer hardware that I estimated to have market values of, say, $5 - and had them bid up to $200. Sometimes, people pay up. Sometimes, they don't. On the occasions that people have paid, they have *never* received the goods and then complained that they were ripped off; they either drop me a thank-you email or just post positive feedback. You just don't know what people are willing to pay for an item until you drop it into the "free" market.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

you

wonder

PSpice?

I wonder if it isn't like the classic car boom in the '80s. People had been buying and selling classic cars for years, with the prices going up pretty much as you'd expect between inflation and attrition. Then some analyst noticed that classic cars were outperforming the Dow! Woo hoo! Let's buy them as an investment! It all ended up like a pyramid scheme with no one at the top -- the winners were the folks who sold at the right time, the big loosers were the folks left holding $50,000 cars that they'd paid $250,000 for at auction, and the little loosers were all the serious collectors who just wanted to buy a neat old car.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

PSpice?

If you look at the winning bidder's other purchases, there is a long string of antique transistor manuals, old transistor testers, and the like. I think it's a (decreasingly) wealthy person starting a transistor museum.

Reply to
Walter Harley

Do a web search. If you can find them for sale they probably aren't worth much.

Reply to
CWatters

I expaect they only get these high prices because they are in their original packaging and are collectors items.

Reply to
CWatters
878 or what ever it was dollars was the winning price on those! my god. i guess i should put my lot of germanium transistors up for bit! :)) i have some old special types made back in the days of when they first made transistors.!:))

Wats>

Jamie

Yeah, you sure are! There are fanatics out there, too, that pay thousands of dollars for Beanie Babies! And they're only a few years old!

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

this

you

So, why aren't you out there doing that?

wonder

Seldom happens. I'd say that the bidders are not making those "absurd" bids on a whim. Most have a spotless history, and are not going to risk their hard-earned reputation by reneging on a bid.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th