no common

Where I live, the electric co. ran 2 wires for 240V. There is NO common, each leg is 120V. When I try to use one leg for 120V and add a ground for the common, the 2 lines become unbalanced and one line may read 80V while the other reads 160V. What can I do to fix this problem at my house? can I use capacitors or resistorss of something? Thanks, curt

Reply to
curt

Don't know of any installation in the US, so I assume it is somewhere else.

The only safe way to get a "solid common for 110-120 is to use an autotransformer of the N,110,220 style. A single winding basically center taped. Usually you would input the 110 and get

220 out. IN your case, input the 240 and the tap is the common for 120 each side. HOWEVER! DO NOT GROUND the "common", a separate safety ground will be needed.

The Auto transformer will have to be large enough, Rated for the load on the 120 volt side!

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE WIRED INTO A HOUSE UNLESS THE BUILDING INSPECTOR APPROVES IT!!!!! IT IS POTENTIALLY LETHAL IF NOT DONE PROPERLY!

Reply to
Roger Gt

Where do you live?

I live in Toronto, and the El Co also only runs two legs of 120V, that is normal. The Neutral is picked up via ground. You need to call an electrician.

--
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

normal. The

From his headers, the OP appears to be in Venezuela. The vital issue is that he doesn't know enough to safely do what he wants, he needs to contact a qualified electrician.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

hehe, love the Labatts reference, but my electrical is fine!! I didn't realize where the OP was in the world.

Red Green uses duct tape to tape together 1000 MCM wire feeding a 600V 400A

3phase service! ;)
--
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada
Samila Racing
http://204.101.251.229/myronx19

Reply to
Myron Samila

Straight on Gov: Like your web site with the links. Spent too much time in Peterborough years back while in College there, not far from tbe old Trent Canal. Best regards, hope the Leafs and Wings have a chance at the Cup this year, Eh?/ I know, off the flippin thread again, Cheers

Reply to
Art