Finally some common sense re electric cars

Gentlemen,

You may recall a while ago I complained about the fact that I can no longer cross the road without looking because of these stupid electric cars. Well, it's GOOD NEWS! Governments around the world are adopting my solution of forcing the cars to make an artificial noise so people like me can once again cross the road safely without bothering to look first.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not a lot of use at

Reply to
TTman

Not sure how that's going to go down, but let me again point out that modern non-EV cars, with engine idling while slowing for an intersection, are as quiet as EV cars. In both cases you're relying on the car's tire noise, etc., which for an EV with its extra-firm higher-mileage tires, may actually be more noisy.

Also, didn't your mom teach you that you should never, never cross a road without looking?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I have unusually sensitive hearing for my age, your Majesty. The law as implemented in the UK means *all* non-ICE only cars will have to emit extra noise for the benefit of people like me who view crossing the road without looking as a fundamental human right. I thought you of all people would support that.

Mummy told me dad died in the war so I could cross the road without fear of being run over, so I really owe this small victory to my dad. And of course, anyone else who ever got run over due to their own carelessness.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Jun 2019 15:08:39 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Cursitor Doom wrote in :

Noise, how much noise? Could be a problem in cities. beep beep beep all the time in front of your house 24/7?

Here some other interesting thing is happening, there were plans to have a charge per km (charge per mile for those who do not know what a km is) system for cars, but those plans got binned again and again. Now somebody realized electric cars use cheap electricity, and you cannot you tax everybody's electricity, like they tax petrol and diesel fuel here,,, so the solution, the old plan: A pay per km system for ALL cars, including electric. I do not know exactly what the pay per km (pay per mile) system will look like, maybe sensors in the car with remote readout I'd think... Also premiums for electric cars were halved, and now those will have to pay per km on top of that. Taxes flow in, :-) Clever lot those politicians. Climate? What climate? They have seen the light! Nobody will buy electric now :-)

They did the same number when I was driving my LPG car... tax it so it is at least as expensive as petrol..

Maybe the tax money will be used (some of it anyways) for roads and to fight the warming that is not really human made...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Use tax...

Martin Riddle

Jan, if you and I ruled Europe, there would have been no need for Brexit. ;-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

What makes you think that Cursitor Doom waits before crossing the road?

He's an idiot, and thinks that he can rely on the fact that car drivers don't want blood and guts all over their shiny vehicles.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But no intellectual processing capacity to make sense of the signals to which you claim to be extraordinarily sensitive.

Cursitor Doom thinks that he is human!

Your mother seems to have been as demented as you are.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No Europe left to Brexit from.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

.

The document is a lot to read, but it seems like they are requiring the HV and EVs to only make as much noise as an ICE vehicle. The authors did test ing of ICE cars with their engines on and off at various speeds to determin e the point where the ICE is not more than 3 dB louder than an HV/EV, by ma king the assumption that an ICE with the engine off is the same as an EV.

I don't see a problem with this. In essence the noise is intended to mimic an ICE driving at a steady speed of up to 18 MPH, not sure what sound pres sure level they are imposing.

The agency seems to want to mimic the familiar sounds of an ICE auto. I'm thinking HV/EV makers will want to gain as much advantage from this as poss ible by making the noise as pleasing as possible. It will be interesting h ow the auto makers actually comply with this rule.

Since this will be imposed on the auto maker and not the user, they will ne ed to outlaw the disabling of the device. Who/how will that be enforced?

The upper limit for all the ICE cars tested was less than 70 dBA. What wil l it take to get an upper limit imposed on vehicles? I know outdoor places that are nearly unbearable because of noise from loud vehicles.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Namely, why? They can and will tax everything they want, rest assured. In the case of shortage of money they become extremely creative. Requiring a government-approved charging plug and heavy fines for the disobedient is one option. But not yet, it is the allurement time, you should not scare your prey...

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

** Normally you easily would, tyre and air noise are audible if the local ambient does not drown them out.

EVs and hybrids are menace cos they make so little noise at low speeds. The authorities have been very slow to act but the problem is bloody obvious.

Folk here are making one of the dumbest mistakes when thinking about the issue - it is not that the hazard in unavoidable it is the FACT that it is NEW.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** That is really dumb - even for the massively autistic Win. People DO look before crossing, but EVs and hybrids can sneak up behind you, out of sight and give you a hell of a fright.

EV drivers ARE the problem too, they have NOT adjusted their driving habits to take account of the fact pedestrians cannot hear them - so they still expect them to jump out of the way as they approach from behind.

A recent example that I experienced involved a new, popular Toyota sedan that a local taxi company has bought a heap of.

One was parked in a driveway with its rear adjacent to the footpath. As I walking right behind it, the car too of at me - completely silently - no engine start up or other noise to warn me.

I glared at the smug turd driving who had failed to use his mirrors or his neck to see if the footpath was clear and then I saw small badge on the back with the word "hybrid".

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

ou, out of sight and give you a hell of a fright.

ts to take account of the fact pedestrians cannot hear them - so they still expect them to jump out of the way as they approach from behind.

that a local taxi company has bought a heap of.

walking right behind it, the car too of at me - completely silently - no e ngine start up or other noise to warn me.

s neck

ith the word "hybrid".

The same problem exists with ICE vehicles. It has been many times I come u p behind people in a parking lot and they are startled to see me behind the m moving at the same pace.

If you look at the report you will find the difference between the two type s of vehicles is about 7 dB at 10 k/h, the worst case. That's not so much really. I wonder if people were used to something even more noisy, would w e be requiring ICE vehicles to make more noise making them safer to pedestr ians? Why is the noise level of the ICE magical that it is the standard we need to go by?

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

** What bullshit - ICE vehicles cannot start up or move off silently.

Pedestrians have been relying on that fact for over a hundred years.

** Fraid that make no sense at all, normal for a colossal idiot like you.
** Bullshit - the typical difference is HUGE, probably over 40dB.

From inaudible to very audible.

You simply did not read my post, the taxi appeared to be unoccupied and parked, then it moved off at me silently.

The day you write a sensible post will also be a cold day in hell.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I have one of the late model Volts with the noise-maker, people often don't hear it at all even if I'm creeping up 10 feet behind them.

The early model had a little button on the turn-signal-stick to emit a polite "boop boop beep" noise to alert pedestrians to your presence, I liked that better.

Reply to
bitrex

They've been thinking about ways to make up for the speculated shortfall in gasoline tax revenue since they minute they heard of 'em. Don't you worry we'll end up paying our "fair share" one way or another...

Reply to
bitrex

Meh, I can't see why an alarm can't be built into the software that is used with the area detection. Most modern vehicles have autonomous braking that recognises amongst other things, a human. That could be tweaked to extend the range and trigger the warning.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

nd you, out of sight and give you a hell of a fright.

habits to take account of the fact pedestrians cannot hear them - so they s till expect them to jump out of the way as they approach from behind.

dan that a local taxi company has bought a heap of.

As I walking right behind it, the car too of at me - completely silently - no engine start up or other noise to warn me.

r his neck

ck with the word "hybrid".

And pedestrians have been getting run over by ICE cars since they were inve nted.

hey are startled to see me behind them moving at the same pace.

.

And of course if you don't understand something your only response is to de nigrate a person rather than asking them to explain.

types of vehicles is about 7 dB at 10 k/h, the worst case.

arked, then it moved off at me silently.

YOU didn't read the report by the people who are making the rules about add ing noise generation to EVs. I am reporting what they said. Your BS 40 dB number is something you made up. Even an electric car isn't producing 10 dB of noise unless it is completely off and not moving. Heck, the air cond itioner makes more noise than that.

The day you make a post that is actually of value on anything other than au dio will be... from previous experience, never.