Newby Questions On Stand Alone DSL

A company that is not a phone co. offered a contract for stand alone DSL.

1) If DSL is always on, does that mean that you're connected to the Internet everytime the machine is booted up? Isn't there a switch to turn it off and on?

2) I want to keep a cheap dial-up ISP as a back-up. If all of the hardware is installed outside on the NID phone box, isn't it true that I can keep my current dial-up without making any changes to the PC and phone jack? If so, when I dial up, does it override the DSL?

Thanks

Reply to
Jack

Keep the modem within easy reach of your chair - then you can pull the power jack when you're not working online.

Reply to
ian field

my DSL modem has no switch, if I want to turn it off I unplug it, if I only want it off temporarily I disconnect the cable that connects it to the computer.

Yes you can keep dialup, some DSL provides may offer free dialup to their DSL customers. I have that and an inexpensive pay-per-use only dial-up account, so I'm covered unless the phone line gets damaged.

which has precidence when both are on depends on the setup, and the software you use, but I expect that usually the one that was most recently started will be the one that gets used for new connections.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

If you also have a dial up modem - always unplug it from the phone jack whenever you're not using it, there are rogue dialler programs floating about the net which if they get into your PC will dial a premium rate number and clean your wallet out!

This has even been known to happen while the user is using the PC online, the rogue dialler quietly drops the line and redials at premium rate - one of the electronics magazines published a circuit to prevent this.

About 200 turns of magnet wire are wound round a reed relay, this is connected in series with the reed relay and a pushbutton is wired in parallel with the reed, this is put in series with one of the phone wires. The button must be held in to complete the circuit until the modem has established the off-hook line current thereafter the line current through the coil keeps the reed latched, if a rogue dialler drops the line ready to re-dial the relay drops out and the connection cannot be made.

Reply to
ian field

I made a switchbox from a Bud Radio minibox. 2 toggle switches and indicator lights. One AC outlet for the modem and one for the router. Easy to turn off the stuff.

Reply to
Eugene A. Pallat