Hot melt glue experiment

I'm quite keen on using hot melt glue for sticking and encapsulating electronic things and thought I would do an experiment.

I took a 10M metal film resistor, cut the leads short and soldered a bit of ordinary PVC hook up wire to each.

I then coated the resistor, joints, and a bit of the wire with hot melt glue. Just generic semi-transparent hot melt stick.

I took a jam jar and poked two holes in the lid, threaded the wires through and sealed each side of the lid with more hot melt glue.

I half filled the jam jar with a saturated solution of table salt and stuck the lid on with the resistor submerged. The resistor measured 10.123M at the time.

The jam jar has been sat on a window ledge getting daylight and a little direct sun light for the last 23 months. I gave it an occasional shake.

It hasn't leaked, the lid seal is intact. The hot melt glue seemed to decompose a little. It seems thin layers from the surface detached and are floating in the solution. The lid has gone rusty so the solution is brown with a bit of brown scummy decomposed or detached hot melt floating it.

The resistor measures 10.087M today (and probably a bit more if it were warmer here). .

I an pretty impressed. The glue has kept the solution off the resistor and the seal between glue and hook up wire has held up as has the seal in the lid.

Reply to
nospam

This is almost worth something. You have no idea what your results mean since you did not include a bare resistor next to the encapsulated one. Therefore you have no idea whether the hot melt actually did anything. Sorry to be a spoil sport but basic scientific procdure should ALWAYS be followed for this type of test.....especially if you're going to spend 2 years doing it. good luck on your next one.

Reply to
prymtyme

I don't need to stick a bare 10M resistor in saturated salt solution to know it will measure significantly less than 1M. You top posting moron.

Reply to
nospam