Damproof cable

To avoid condensation creeping, via capillary action, between copper conductor and the sleeving from an open end into otherwise sealed section. How to make or what sort of term or construction to look for in cable specs?

N_Cook

In the ham radio fraternity, we seal open cable ends with self-amalgamating tape, silicon rubber compound, hot-melt glue, glue lined heat-shrink tubing, or a combination of them. Water ingress by capilliary action, is a common problem with coaxially constructed cables, and some types of RF connector, when used outdoors.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Sealing the outer sheath into an enclosure is quite easy as glands exist for this purpose with round cables. But to be sure moisture can't enter a stripped back cable it needs to be potted in a suitable compound. Such things are available from any decent electrical wholesaler.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What would be nice is a trade-name or process name for ,say, conductor moulded into sheathing so if the open end sealing fails it cannot migrate along the cable. Basicly a cable that you cannot use a wire-stripper tool on and cleave the sheathing away without leaving sheathing adhering to the conductor, presumably single strand.

N_Cook

not coaxial cable in this case

Reply to
N_Cook

Probably better to just sleeve/seal the ends if and when required. There are lots of heatshrink products available for this.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

section.

But heatshrink leaves a capilliary path. If there was a way of making sure the conductor stayed reasonably axial then a few inch length of hotmelt glue around the conductor and then remelted/compressed in the process of contracting heatshrink sleeving around that, would probably be ok. After the first few inches bond to normal sleeving. It is just a matter of avoiding damp migration into the start of the cable.

N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in news:fv9qdq$ed1$1 @registered.motzarella.org:

Depends on the heat shrink. Some contain a liner that melts and gives an airtight seal.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

No, some heatshrink does.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I think the buzz-word you're looking for is "solid core."

Reply to
Smitty Two

There

No it doesn't, that pdf is for heatshrinking down onto cable and connectors, not stopping moisture getting along the 0.8mm to 1mm diameter cores of cables

Thinking of farnell/cpc in the UK. Who else here watches the "Gadget Show" ? Lead in or lead out graphic of CPC testing? one of their ICs by zapping a discharge over the pins

N_Cook

Nope, can't translate that at all.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

That same effect can be achieved with what's called "flooded" or "dual wall" heatshrink tubing. It consists of two layers, the outer being the usual sort of heatshrink material and the inner being a near-equivalent to hot-melt glue.

Put some of this around the conductor or joint, apply heat, the inner layer melts, the outer layer shrinks and forces the molten goop into a bond with the conductor, and (frequently) a bit of the excess goop expresses out of the end to let you know that it's on the job and working. Allow to cool, and you're good to go.

Flooded heat-shrink is rather more expensive than standard single-wall but is well worth the cost if you're installing wires which will be exposed to moisture.

Dave Platt

It's not as if it's filled with saltwater. The "liquid" is a very nasty thick grease, I think it's silicone based. It has the look and feel of uncured clear silicone caulk, really gross stuff, I haven't found any solvent that washes it off, hence the comment about the roll of paper towels.

Reply to
James Sweet

For small projects, I've occasionally sliced strips of hot melt glue stick and stuck it inside the heatshrink prior to shrinking it. It's not as convenient as the flooded heatshrink but it has the same effect. It's handy for automotive splices.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm not convinced hot melt is waterproof in the long term. Better with silicone.

--
*Experience is something you don\'t get until just after you need it.*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Belden seems to "flood" with a grease based on polyethylene or other polyolefins. Their trade name for the gel flooding construction is "CoreGuard".

According to one report, Gunk engine-degreasing compound will remove it.

Dave Platt

:To avoid condensation creeping, via capillary action, between copper :conductor and the sleeving from an open end into otherwise sealed section. :How to make or what sort of term or construction to look for in cable specs?

What type of cable are you talking about?

If you can find a friendly telco cable jointer working in the street I'm sure he would be able to give you some tips.

Reply to
Ross Herbert