LCD prototype

Hey all,

I've got an LCD module with a 16-pin, 1mm FPC cable that I need to connect to standard .100" headers on a development board for prototyping purposes. Before I design a custom board just for the LCD interface, I want to ask everyone if you know of a suitable board that already exists. All I need is some sort of way to connect the FPC cable to the .100" headers. If there is already a board with the appropriate connectors, then that would be great.

What techniques do you use to connect LCD modules to development boards? Is designing your own board the recommended method? I have no problem doing this, it just seems a bit wasteful to spend a day designing the board if I don't have to.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers, Alex

Reply to
okalex

Use a through-hole version of the FPC connector, and a IDC ribbon cable going to the 0.1" header(s). Strip and separate the other end of the ribbon cable and solder directly to the pins of the FPC connector.

Not pretty but you can get going straightaway and find out that you have forgotten about the variable -20V bias voltage you needed.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Good point. I suppose a better solution would be to get an LCD development board with all of the required voltages on-board. I need an HD44780-compatible LCD module that can accept 3.3-V inputs (or a board with level shifters). Know of anywhere I can find one?

Alex

Reply to
okalex

I have a fetish for hot melt glue...

Once the wires are soldered... support them to the connector casing with hot melt gule.

After jiggling cables for many years... having to resolder wires that have fallen off....

OR

A wire has fallen off and you spend 3 hours fault finding it.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

good idea, I use some really sticky strips of double sided tape to handle that kind of stuff, modern tapes have some really tenacious glues, doesn't ever come off, really wish I thought of it 10 years ago, my prototype wiring is so nice and neat and reliable now...

Reply to
steve