Headlamp electronics and headache .. any connection?

I used a Petzl Zipka Plus (Zipka+) headlight for about 4 hours in blinking mode last night. Later, I had a severe headache. I almost never get headaches, but it was also very, very warm and dusty out there.

Anybody know if there is a link between the electronics in headlights (RF shielding?) and headaches, like cellphones and cancer sorta' thing??

BTW I love the Zipka Plus except it is not that nice for reading because of bluish/brownish rings/halo. The Yukon headlamp is much better for reading. I'd also like to hear from Princeton Tec Corona headlight owners, on how nice that Corona is for reading.

Reply to
Jack Blake

I know for a fact, there IS a "medical" test, where they attach electrodes to your head to measure brain activity, and they use bright flashing lights among other things, to see if they trigger any response. They look at the read out afterwards for any signs of trouble. Flashing lights DO cause many people problems. Maybe you're one of them. It "could" be a sign of things to come later; but then again, it could have been your eyes and brain interaction trying to deal with it. The test I mentioned is used to check for signs of such things as Epileptic seizure activity and other things. Based on what you said, assuming you've had no other medical abnormalities which had no known reason, I wouldn't "run" to a Dr to ask, but the next time you happen to visit for a basic check up or some other reason, just pop the question. Until then, try to shield your eyes from the lights so as not to trigger that response again. Also, not being familiar with the product that you mentioned in particular - if it is a headband type lamp such as another alluded to, perhaps it was on a bit too tight! Most of those Headlamp jobs I'm aware of are nothing more than a strap, case with light bulb, switch and battery compartment. Don't see a "cancer" issue there. WC

Reply to
Who cares!

I don't know this lamp but what's the strobe rate? Perhaps the headache is caused by eye strain - eg your eyes go out of focus in the dark then have to re-focus when the light comes on again. Repeat that for four hours and I would be surprised if you didn't have a headache.

Also flashing lights are known to trigger epileptic fits. You may not be epileptic but perhaps there are "shades of epileptic"?

Reply to
CWatters