Connection Problem

I have a Raspi B board which connects to the internet and Lan without problems. A few days ago I received a new B+ board. I loaded Raspian and upgraded etc. At this stage everything seemed OK. I then tried setting up the connection to the LAN/internet but I have been less than successful. I have made the changes to /etc/wireless/interfaces but when I launch WiFi config I get varying results but no successful connection.

EG signal 15 - can cause freeze and need reboot. The display on WiFi gui being complete except for the IP address so no connection. Display as above but system cycling between above display and scanning. On one occasion the IP address was displayed briefly ie a full display but the cycling put paid to that. Status was shown as 4 way handshake!! at times. Last message was shown as error 3 and error 2 at times. I have tried a different (working) Tenda dongle and different USB ports but nothing as given success.

Am I looking at a faulty board?? Are there any checks I should carry out.

T M Smith

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire

Have you upgraded to the latest & greatst Raspbian, or did you copy an old SD card?

If you copied an old one then there is a good chance that the USB/Ethernet chip will not be initialised correctly and thus won't run.

Get the latest Raspbian off the Foundation website and give that a go.

-Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Gordon, I did download the June 2014 version and then upgraded on the pi. This was the 1.34 kernel.

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Not sure what you're looking at, but the latest kernel is 3.12.x

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

You are correct Gordon, my mistake. That was the download I used

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Got a working eth connection? if so see if you can get connected by this?

As already suggested do get the lastest build and start from fresh. I have often found that altering things allow urphy in. Should work in theory but no way in the real world you have.

Reply to
Gordon

Since previous posts I have downloaded the latest build etc. I have tried using the ethernet cable and everything works faultlessly. Needed to for the upgrading. Back to the WiFi after upgrading; after several tries with two dongles I did obtain a connection putting the dongle in the powered USB thingy (memory!!) rather than the onboard USB port but still not sure it is stable. Will report back

Malcolm