Broadband speeds

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Labor Unions Cause Global Warming

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Performance enhancing seeds?

Martin Riddle

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Nobody seems to remember SneakerNet, when you copied your file onto and 8" floppy and walked it across to its destination.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Good story made the news around the world. Bit hard on Telkon though.

Although highly amusing as a report it isn't far off what you would expect for a basic ADSL connection on old copper wire. ASDL is by design assymetric - bulk uploads are typically a factor of between 4 and 10 times slower than downloads. So if they have a poxy 1MB line with

250kb/s upload ~25kb/s => 40s /MB then 4GB will take 4000x longer ~ 43h.

The pigeon will win hands down if it takes only a couple of hours - with even better data rates if they use 8GB or 16GB pigeon friendly media.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Bill Sloman Inscribed thus:

Easier than carrying a box of punched cards down to the data room !

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

I use SneakerNet 3.0. Copy the data onto a USB memory stick and carry it to the other computer.

There was a report that in South Africa someone is sending data by putting SD memory cards on carrier pigeons. The transfer rate is higher than the local "high speed" internet.

Reply to
MooseFET

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:08:46 +0100) it happened baron wrote in :

I'v been mailing CDs and DVDs for many years. It is only recently upload from my site is faster. But Blu-Ray then wins again. Especially when you need to send to more then 1 destination, snail mail is faster. And not every destination has a DSL connection either.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I participated in one like this just a few years ago, although we used CD-RWs. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In the 1980's in a BBS network I once saw a discussion about how Iceland was connected to the rest of the world. A person worked in the UK and spent the weekends in Iceland carrying floppies with him both ways :-).

Also in the 1980's a common wisdom was that nothing beats the transfer capacity of a truck full of 1/2 inch magnetic tapes.

In those days a few 14 inch 300 MB disk packs in a car could transfer quite a lot of data within a city. Of course at sub-zero temperatures, you had to be very careful that the disk packs did not cool too much, which might cause condensation, when moving the packs into a warm and humid computer room. Any condensation could cause head crashes, if the disk packs did not reach room temperature, before inserting into the disk drive :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

As the old saying goes, "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a 747 full of tapes."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Apparently, the High-Energy Physics folk (CERN etc) prefer to send RAID arrays. When you're dealing with that much data, copying to/from tape takes too long.

Reply to
Nobody

In the days of 1200 baud modems and long-distance rates, it was faster and cheaper to give a guy a 9-track tape reel and a coast-to-coast airplane ticket.

John

Before FedEx it was my common practice to take a mailing tube with D-size drawings or stabilene layouts to the American Airlines ticket counter in Phoenix. They would give it to a pilot going to San Jose. My foundry guy would pick them up at the San Jose ticket counter.

Same day delivery for, IIRC, $36 ;-)

Of course this was back in the days when you could park at the curb, walk directly to the ticket counter, without a line... before TSA :-(

...Jim Thompson

As someone once said, never underestimate the bandwidth of a truckload of DVDs

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Back when the pilot leaned out the window and yelled 'CONTACT' so the ground crew would hand spin the propeller. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Yep ;-)

I flew DC-3's Huntington-Boston-Huntington regularly from 1958-1962. My first trip to Phoenix was on a DC-7... Boston-Chicago-Phoenix, except it ended up being Boston-over Chicago-St.Louis-Chicago-Phoenix due to thunderstorms :-(

Then I regularly flew the infamous Lockheed Electra... even after the FAA enforced a speed limit... due to the wings vibrating and failing due to metal fatigue... falling off :-(

It used to have a stand-up bar in the back... that's where I learned to like Martini's ;-)

...Jim Thompson

While the wings fell off? ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Fortunately not. There were (IIRC) three failures in rapid succession, they were grounded, then resumed operation with speed restricted. I always liked them, comfortable, lacking the shake-you-awake vibration of DC-3's ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That reminds me of the classic SNL skit where they are welcoming passengers to the airlines brand new DC-101s when the DC-10s were grounded.

Michael A. Terrell