64 bits CPU

=_NextPart_000_0026_01C50C90.CB9F0EF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Should we up grade our computer to 64 bits CPU now?

Reply to
Uno

This is Uno for forever:

It depends:

- If the applications you use can make use of 64-bit instructions (I don't know examples... maybe video/image editing programs), yes

- If you can compile applications for this CPU, yes

- If the operating system you use provides 64-bit support (e.g. Linux, FreeBSD, 64-bit Windows XP?)

- I remember seeing that 64-bit Windows XP will not support 16-bit applications anymore.

--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W / GMT-
2h / 15m

"He [Babya] is like the Energizer Bunny of hopeless newsgroup
posting....or should that be Energizer bBunny"
                                - "ceed" on alt.comp.freeware, 24/1/2005

(to some groups: Yes, I use Windows and MS Office. So what?)
Reply to
Chaos Master

When sending to news groups, please make sure that you do not send in full HTML. Many of the news readers cannot read full HTML. Also, there are security issues when using HTML.

--

I would wait a while. There is no real support, other than some specialized software's that have been written for the 64 bit format. It would be best to wait until the 64 bit format is the main standard for PC machines.

I believe that AMD were the first ones to have a 64 bit system.

--

Jerry G. =====

Reply to
Jerry G.

"Jerry G." schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Wrong, DEC had. The Alpha was the very best in its time though its marketing was poor. As there has been no new developments since Compaq bought DEC, AMD will overtake soon.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Phewww!

I thought our university is backward ;)

We have here a ton of 64-Bit computers, and they are running a wide array of OS'es, Linux, several BSD's and Solaris. It's two or three DEC's with Linux, but a pile of almost 100 workstations with SPARC CPU's running Solaris.

Outside the Windows/Intel World the 64-Bit systems are well established.

When you rely upon Windows, well, forget about 64Bit and take a P4 with hyperthreading, when you need reliability, horsepower or 64Bit because of hardware aspects ( 64GB Ram on our mainframe with no switching; 8 Sparc3e with 8GB per CPU... just to mention... makes databases fly and and fileserving comes more often out of cache than from the harddisks ), go for it. I have a system with four 800MHz 64Bit-CPU's... it emulates an entire PC so well that I can play Americas Army smoothly without slowing down the rest of the system noticeably.

64Bit is Fun =)

(There is a beer in Germany nicknamed "Bit" , Bitburger Pils-Beer.... And there is a joke at my university: no wonder our 64-Bit Systems seem to fly... with 64 Bit I would also feel like flying! )

Jerry G. wrote:

--
Hochachtungsvoll

Rüdiger
Reply to
Ruediger

OUTSTANDING beer . . . was one of my favorites. From the Eifel area, IIRC. Bitte, ein Bit!

Reply to
Sporkman