Tunable AM receiver

Hi guys,

I need to try and build a tunable AM receiver for a project I'm doing. Ideally I want it to span from about 30MHz to 150MHz. I'd also like it to be digitally tunable. I read some article about how to do it with an old tuner module from a VCR, but can't seem to find the relevant chip anywhere to buy. Is it still possible to buy such a chip, and if so, what sort of bandwidth can those babys receive?

Best Wishes,

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Kay

Whatever you want.

The tv tuner module tunes the incoming signal down to a fixed frequency. After that, it's up to you to cook up an IF strip to limit the bandwidth to whatever you want, amplify the signal, and then detect it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

You can *almost* do it with a VCR tuner. Since TV tuners normally tune the TV broadcast band on the low end, and that low end is at 50 MHz, it's doubtful that you could get one to tune down to 30 MHz. Perhaps by experimenting with the varactor diode inside the tuner, or installing a small amount of capacitance across it, you could force it to tune down to 30 MHz.

The chip you're thinking about is probably a PLL (phase locked loop) IC, made by several companies. ON Semiconductor, Toshiba, Sony, etc., are good sources to start with. Go to their web sites and search for PLL or phase locked loop.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

Here, I found these that might help.

(There's one that does 10 - 160 MHz) it's the CXA3106AQ. The data sheet is in pdf format. download it and save it.

These links will take you to a couple that I found.

Good luck on your project. You might pick up the 108 - 117.995 and 118 - 136 MHz aircraft

Reply to
sean