Xilinx XST incremental synthesis tooo slow

Hi!

I was investigating incremental synthesis to reduce synthesis time. Bad surprise was that incremental synthesis doesn't reduce the synthesis time at all. I have like 10 components and it takes 3 minutes to compile them without incremental synthesis. I changed the synthesis to incremental and made a little change in a very small component - then it took 4 minutes to compile!!! At some point in the synthesis report XST prints that all unchanged components are "up to date" but the rest of the report shows that all compilation and optimizations are done just like everything was compiled first time. I tried with Xilinx ISE versions 7.1 and 8.1 - both gave the same results...

Has anyone managed to reduce the synthesis time signifficantly with XST incremantal synthesis? Or is there any other synthesis tools which are able to do this?

Thanks

Lauri

Reply to
Lauri Ehrenpreis