Xilinx Virtex4 / Spartan3 High Speed Designs

Hello,

I'm interested in high Speed Designs (450MHz to 500MHz). The advertising of Xilinx states, that the Virtex4 can be clocked up to 500HMz. I guess this is only possible using Devices with speedgrade 12.

I wanted to evaluate the Virtex4 using ISE Foundation 6.3i. Unfortunately only devices with speedgrades 10 and 11 can be selected. If I try to instanciate a DCM_ADV using the Wizard, it is stated, that the maximum frequency that can be generated is 315MHz. Is that because of the given speedgrades? Can the 500MHz be generated in a device of speedgrade 12?

Is it possible at all to generate 500MHz with a DCM or is it necessary to use an external 500MHz clock?

Is there a chance to get a pipelined structure with one logic level per stage implemented implemented with 450 to 480MHz if I buy an evaluation boord with a device of speedgrade 10 supplying an external clock? Could I cool down the device and increase to core voltage in order to achive this performance?

Which parts of the Virtex4 can be clocked with 500MHz? Only the XtremeDSP cells? Were do they get their clock from? Can logic be clocked with 500MHz at all?

Thank you for your answers!

Regards, Matthias

Reply to
Matthias Müller

Hi Matthias,

In my honest opinion, even with FX series, 450 to 500 MHz. will be extremely difficult to achieve.

For 500 MHz. , I would recommend using external low jitter clock. Check DCM's jitter spec and see if that is tolerable to you, else stick with epson clk driver. Also differential clock driver is that you are looking at those frequencies.

As far as advertised speeds of 500 MHz. it might be achievable on their DSP family of devices especially their hard DSP macros.

As far as your other question, about cooling the device and increasing core voltage to run at higher clock frequencies, you might possibly damage the device. Check with Xilinx about it. Make sure you are talking to right FAE about such issues to get correct answer.

Finally I would shoot for 300 to 350 Mhz. max with FPGAs. However most of it will depend on the size of design and part selected. Larger the part, more likely you will have trouble hitting the frequencies.

Regards,

Purvesh

Matthias M=FCller wrote:

advertising of

this is

Unfortunately

maximum

given

12?

necessary to

per

evaluation

Could I

this

XtremeDSP

500MHz
Reply to
Purvesh

As I mentioned in the seminar, 500 MHz is achievable in most blocks, but a complete 500 MHz system may be tough to put together, since it means that you must never loose even a fraction of a ns. If Matthias needs 500 MHz, I invite him to send me some specific ideas and requirements, so we can take a look at the feasibility. I tried to mail him directly, but his e-mail address is camouflaged. Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Hi Peter,

Can you tell us eagerly awaiting the -12 Virtex4 devices when we can expect them to be available in ISE? I've heard that they will be in ISE

7.1, but have not had it confirmed.

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Brown

A few additional comments: LX, SX and FX inherently have the same speed for a given speed grade. (LX and SX are just a different mix of identical functions, "gin&tonic vs. tonic&gin", FX adds PPC, MGT and EthernetController to it.) In many cases, we are quite conservative. I know that the DSP core runs much faster than 500 MHz, and so might the BRAM. For a production design, that does you no good, the part "is" only as fast as the vendor guarantees. But if you want to tinker, you might be surprised. Keeping Vcc at the high end (but stay within spec!) helps a few %, and so does a heatsink, to keep the junction temperature below the specified max 85 degree limit. I am always interested in designs that challenge the max performance. When I joined Xilinx 17 years ago, I designed a 40 MHz counter. You cannot imagine the logic contortions required to do that in an XC3020. Now I'm thinking of (ab)using the MGTs to count up to 5 GHz, and also to do frequency synthesis up to 5 GHz. Maybe later this year...It helps to think ahead. :-) Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Kevin, you heard right:

-12 speedfiles will be in ISE 7.1, available later this month (February ). Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Sounds good - you will make this public ? - and perhaps do two versions, one that is FPGA generic, and one (clearly faster) that is as heavily HW optimised as possible.

I'd also suggest adding Pulse Width Synthesis, to Freq measure, and Freq Synthesis (DDS?)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville