Xilinx ISE speed files compatibility

Does anyone know if I can copy a speed file from ISE10.1 to ISE8.2? They are of very much different size, which seems to say they are not compatible, but I thought I would ask anyways... I suspect that V4FX40 file in 8.2 is too optimistic... Can this be true?

Thanks, /Mikhail

Reply to
MM

I compared the V4FX40 speed files in 8.2 and 10.1 using speedprint utility. There are a few parameters related to BRAM read, where they added second pair of numbers. Otherwise the timing is identical. Since I wasn't sure how and when this second pair of numbers gets used by the tools I ported the design to 10.1 and rebuilt it. This however hasn't fixed my problem, which is the design works up to 60 C and fails after that. This same design used to be very robust in FX20. The timing constraints are met with a margin and I've checked all the unconstrained paths. None of them seem to be relevant. The power seems fine as well. The core voltage is 1.185V, which is a little low, but well within the spec. If I keep the card under good airflow, so that the die temperature never rises above 52 C, it can work for days without any problem...

The design is centered around a PPC subsystem, which talks to another card through an async serial interface using UART Lite. When the problem happens, I stop receiving messages from the PPC. At this point the debugger doesn't seem to be able to stop processor properly, so I can't really debug it through software. The clocks in the PPC part of the design aren't fast: the PPC runs at 166 MHz, and the buses run at half of that... I believe the rest of the design, while might be broken as well, doesn't matter for the purpose of this discussion, as the PPC subsystem shouldn't be dying regardless of it.

I will appreciate any ideas on what else to check...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

hi,

Speedfiles are often updated (improved ;-) ) with new Service Packs. In many cases the timing information becomes more accurate because Xilinx has more accurate feedback based on their production process.

In other words the newer versions more likely represent the timing in the actual silicon.

Regards, Stephan

Reply to
Stephan van Beek

The problem has been fixed, although I still need to investigate why the fix was needed. EDK by default uses FX DCM output to generate PPC clock. I changed it to use CLK0 (as I didn't need the synthesizer anyways) and now it works fine. Again, it worked perfectly fine in FX20 using the synthesizer.

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

And clk0 comes from.... ?

There is advice somewhere against chaining too many DCMs (accumulating clock jitter); chaining two is about the maximum that is guaranteed to work, assuming a reasonably clean input clock. Add some input jitter and even two in series may be unreliable.

Could this explain the problem?

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond