Xilinx 9.x SW == Total Frustration (so far..)

Have you tried to use it in batch mode? If all you need it for is to configure FPGA:s that should be enough. (Assuming the bugs are GUI related.)

Cheat sheet after impact is started using -batch: (included because I spent a lot of time yesterday using impact in batch mode and happened to remember the necessary commands :))

setmode -bs setcable -port auto identify assignfile -p 3 "foo.bit" program -p 3

Where 3 is the position in the jtag chain of the device you are programming.

/Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Ehliar

Have you tried to use it in batch mode? If all you need it for is to configure FPGA:s that should be enough. (Assuming the bugs are GUI related.)

Cheat sheet after impact is started using -batch: (included because I spent a lot of time yesterday using impact in batch mode and happened to remember the necessary commands :))

setmode -bs setcable -port auto identify assignfile -p 3 -file "foo.bit" program -p 3

Where 3 is the position in the jtag chain of the device you are programming.

/Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Ehliar

Its really hard to see how some software manages to get worse and worse every major release!

Installed - ISE 9.1+SP3, EKD 9.1+SP1 Applied hotfix for EDK as described in AR24143

This is LATEST RELEASE, ALL available service packs installed.

Impact-> program... (trying to download bit to FPGA, all used to work...)

A dialog popups, but status bar doesnt proceed at all.. fully stalled. Only thing possible is "cancel" button so I click on CANCEL

and success!

operation cancelled and dialog box is closing.

Right click on the FPGA icon to try again.. Guess what... the right cliks brings up a single item menu:

"operation in progress please wait"

for heavens sake the process was stalled and I cancelled it. Its no longer in progress.. it has been terminated !

Uh, File->Exit still WORKS!

But, Impact is meant to be used to configure FPGA's, not to use "File Exit"... because its all that works.

What todo? Wait SP4? Or maybe there is a secret tactical patch available? Or some you-dont-find-it-when-you-do-not-know-the-exact-number AR?

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Hi Andreas,

thanks for suggestion - with the 100% SAME EXACT setup impact 8.2 works. so its just a fresh 9.1 bug.

i have also been able to get impact 9.1 working, the issue is somehow related (again!) to configuration modes.. :(

So 9.1 can be made to succeed also, whereis 8.2 always works.

Antti PS its funny to see that impact 9.1 still crashes when the autogenerated bdsl file name is set to "bypass", I would have thought things like that are long time ago fixed, but no, they are not.

Reply to
Antti