Why is this group so quiet?

I was just wondering... why is this group so quiet?

With lots of interesting news like:

Microsoft Extends FPGA Reach From Bing To Deep Learning -

China's FPGA Company -

AMD patent filing hints at FPGA plans in the pipeline -

I would have expected at least a tiny bit of chatter...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Field

Unfortunately there are too many other sources like LinkedIn, Stackoverflow, Vendors mailing lists....

I guess young(?) engineers find usenet not "cool" enough, no up/down votes, no tags for code, no need for a news server, etc

Hans

HT-Lab

because our next door neighbor is very noisy. Look at DSPrelated.com guys,

4 or five of them keep answering everyone, may be they robot members.

Kaz

kaz

AMD getting into the FPGA market would indeed be news. I seriously doubt that will be happening. There are a lot of financial and patent barriers.

I can't currently read any of your links, but it could be interesting if China did get into the FPGA market. But do you think they will market much in the US? I expect they will be pushed as alternatives to the big name FPGAs for use in many Chinese products which are more and more designed in China. There aren't many Chinese chips with much complexity that are used in other parts of the world. It can be very hard to get much info that is clear.

Microsoft has their hands in lots of things. That doesn't mean they will bring it to fruition.

--

Rick
Reply to

If so I'm a pretty damned well programmed robot!

(Actually, I think a USENET question-answering robot would be a cool thing for someone to try. After lurking for about a year you can answer most questions by just regurgitating answers to previous questions.)

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

The problem of DSPRelated G5 (Gang of 5) is not just answering posts but soon they 5 member gang start fighting each other on their comments and thoughts.

It is in most cases waste of time and words to find any useful post.

Kaz

kaz

You may have a point there. So, if I'm going to pass a Turing test does this mean that I need to get offended easily?

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

the company is Gowin semiconductor,

maybe they will have learned something from Espressif and their ~1$ wifi chip As soon as English documentation and tools started to appear everyone and his cousin started doing stuff cool with them

-Lasse

Reply to
lasselangwadtchristensen

I think people do this when they think they might not pass a Turing test.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Are you implying I can't pass a Turing test?

I'm offended. Or maybe I'm simulating. Hmm. How to tell?

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I am not sure I can because lake bloop forble.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

cool

questions.)

posts

post.

This forum is now under attack by the Robots from next door, really.

kaz

kaz

Unfortunately I am still fighting computer problems. I am unable to view a link unless I write it down and copy it to another machine. :(

--

Rick
Reply to

ok, afaict: 55nm, 1152 and 8640 LUTs, on-chip random access flash, Synopsys' Synplify Pro for synthesis, qfp100 to BGAs

-Lasse

Reply to
lasselangwadtchristensen

I found their site and only the small part comes in the 100 pin QFP. The larger part only comes in the 256 and larger BGAs. So no magic for me. The smaller part has no distributed RAM which seems weird and no multipliers which is not uncommon.

--

Rick
Reply to

Your objections sound almost -- robotic.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Go on, bite the bullet! Try the QFN32 or WLCSP25, you can get your cheap proto PCBs also from China:

There are some oddities about the parts; are there really only 3 flops per four LUTs? Anyone seen a patent?

Device | GW1N-1K | GW1N-9K -------------+-----------+--------- Lut | 1,152 | 8,640 FF | 864 | 6,480 CLU Array | 11x20 | Dist. RAM | 0 | 17,280 Block SRAM | 72Kb | 198Kb NVM Bits [1] | 96K | 1,792K Mult. 18x18 | 0 | 20 Max User IO | 120 | 272 PLLs+DLLs | 0 | 2+3 WLCSP25 | 15 | QFN32 | 21 | LQFP100 | 79 | LQFP144 | 116 | MBGA160 | 120 | UBGA204 | 120 | PBGA204 | 120 | PBGA256 | | 180 PBGA484 | | 272

[1] Random Access

Abbreviated from:

Jan Coombs

--
email valid, else fix dots and hyphen
jan4clf2014@murrayhyphenmicroftdotcodotuk

Maybe the number of retulars has fallen below the critical mass. Groups sel dom show up on google search results when I do search with google. Xilinx h as a fairly good support comunity. Few use Microsemi anyway. Few new progra mming languages for FPGA released every year.

--
Svenn
Reply to

I think groups like this are quiet because most people join the specific forums for a particular chip manufacturer.

If the chip manufacturer's support came on here it would be a lot busier.

joolz

Posted with NewsLeecher v7.0 Beta 7
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Julian Gardner

I have a product which uses around 80% of 3 KLUT in a 100 QFP. The Lattice part in use is obsolete and I would like to have a replacement. So a 32 QFN is of no use in this app.

That is not unusual as you will find in some of the Lattice parts. Also note that more recent parts have grown the LUTs to 6 inputs which amounts to having 4 of the 4 input LUTs per FF.

They seem to be following in the footsteps of the large FPGA makers, in particular Lattice. Any idea of what the various dimensions of the MBGA160 are? My problem with BGA is when the ball pitch gets too small that I have to drop from 6/6 design rules (maybe 5/5 these days).

--

Rick
Reply to