Welcome back Mr. Knapp

Hi Steven,

Since you're back, can you refresh us on Spartan3E availability?

Luiz Carlos.

P.S. Supposing "Steve Knapp" and "Steven K. Knapp" are the same person, which one is right?

Reply to
oen_no_spam

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Its soon mid August not long til September so I guess a statement made in April/May by "Antti Lukats" (that is me): "no S3e general availability before Sep

2005" is valid.

No matter what Xilinx related people have said in the meanwhile.

I hoped to be wrong, but there is no prove so far. S3e is not generically avaialble and I dont think the situation is going to change within next weeks, and then its september already what makes my initial statement more correct than the other statements about s3e availability.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Hi Antti, Luiz,

I can luckily tell that I have a S3-500E running in a own design. There is a ERIC5 inside, executing C-code, everything looks fine up to now :-) However, I do not know how the general situation is (as I did not get as many parts as I wanted, too). Also I do not know how the situation of the other S3Es is.

Thomas

Thomas Entner

Thanks. Yes, I'm back although via Google (which has it's own advantages).

XC3S100E and XC3S500E samples are generally available today. If you are having a problem obtaining them after placing an order, please let me know.

Samples of the rest of the family are through September and October.

--------------------------------- Steven K. Knapp Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc. General Products Division Spartan-3/-3E FPGAs

--------------------------------- The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation: The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.

Reply to
Steve Knapp (Xilinx Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs)

"Steve Knapp (Xilinx Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Hi Steven

I just checked Xilinx web store, Spartan-3e is not there. When it is to be expected to be available ??

What disties say I do know, they will quote standard leadtimes, and that means that even though you can place order today the actual parts will not arrive until september. And september was what I have forecasted all the time for availability.

Nuhorizons, S3-100e, lead time 5 weeks, end of september! Digikey: no S3 at all Xilinx Online: no S3E Avnet: s3-100e, ENGINEERING SAMPLE ONLY , no stock or call, that means NO AVAIL, no leadtime known s3-500e, ENGINEERING SAMPLE ONLY , no stock, that means NO AVAIL, no leadtime known Memec has been purchased by Avnet so no sense to check.

So where is the general availabiluty ??

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Hi Antti,

I agree with you that Xilinx availability-announcements are always more or less over-optimistic. However, I think you are bit unfair, you should not mix "availability" with "on-stock-delivery". Many well established products have delivery-times of several weeks, but you would not say that all these products are not available. I can remember times, just some years ago, when I ordered 1k-0603-resistors at Farnell and got a delivery-time of allmost a year... (OK, you can call THAT not available... ;-)

Also I think that it would be a good idea to contact a distributor if you want to use a brand new product. They can contact Xilinx and discuss your need. This process will not happen when you simply look on a web-site, of course. Also, a delivery time of 5 weeks is normally no problem for new designs, as long as it is guaranteed. You will need this 5 weeks anyway for design and PCB-production.

Thomas

"Antti Lukats" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ddhvh5$60d$01$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com...

Reply to
Thomas Entner

"Thomas Entner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42fc93ed$0$2279$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader02.highway.telekom.at...

products

when

for

partially agree, but I would call general availability the date when first 'normal' customer who placed small volume order to some disti actually receives the parts. Not the day hes order was accepted.

And to my understanding from that point of view there is no S3e general availabiliy before septemer (or maybe late late August).

If some customer did manage to get the parts earlier it doesnt change anything. General means just anyone who placed regulart order will get the parts without the need to specially escalate the order processing.

BTW, if General Availability is now, that means there was there some availability earlier, but in that case there S3e evaluation boards should be shipping already, but they are not.

Ok, I am unfair maybe.

here some advice to Xilinx:

with any new products send a first batch of silicon to the disties and announce general availability after confirmation that the parcel is arrived at disti stock. or make the device available (even for samples only) at Xilinx webshop.

Thats not a hard thing todo, but avoid PITA comments as those of mine in the future.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Hi Antti,

At the moment, only engineering samples are available. Your favorite Xilinx distributor should be able to help you obtain XC3S100E or XC3S500E samples. These two part numbers are generally available. However, for a variety of reasons, distributors do not like to stock engineering samples so they generally will show some amount of lead time and place the order with Xilinx.

I'm working with internal groups to see how we can put Spartan-3E FPGAs on the Xilinx online store. I agree that this should be easier than it is currently.

--------------------------------- Steven K. Knapp Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc. General Products Division Spartan-3/-3E FPGAs

--------------------------------- The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation: The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.

Reply to
Steve Knapp (Xilinx Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs)

The Xilinx Online Store doesn't seem to like to stock parts (either production or ES). As of August 31, all Spartan-3 parts are listed as "out of stock" or "shipping in 3-4 weeks".

Still, I'm glad that there is an easy-to-use low-volume purchasing option, even if I do have to wait a month. I hope you're successful at getting some Spartan-3e parts into the online store.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith