Fast Recompilation of an XPS project

Hello All:

I am new to embedded development and fpgas in general so please bear with me.

I am working with EDK 6.3 on a Virtex II board.

In my system I have a user defined peripherals(IPIF) to interface with a DAC connected externally. So while working on my project I often need to make changes in the VHDL code of this peripheral. Everytime a minor change is made, the entire system (including all peripherals and the microblaze) have to be compiled again for the bitstream generation. This takes a long time and is proving cumbersome for me as I often need to play around with the VHDL codes.

So Is there a way around this? Can we somehow save the rest of the bitstream generated and recompile only the parts that are modified?

I have seen that a lot of people export the XPS project to ISE and work on it there. I am not familiar with ISE much, so could someone tell me what are the advantages of doing that? Does that speed up work in general?

Thanks!

Cheers, Suhrid

Reply to
Suhrid

Search this newsgroup for the CORE_STATE option. You should find something from a few months ago.

Reply to
edvenson

Hey!

Got it!... Thanks a lot; Appreciate it!