Webpack 9.1 and Samba

I just upgraded? my computer (was W2K) and ISE6.3 to Windows XP and Webpack 9.1 And now have problems with project/working filea mounted on a Samba server (3.0.10)

This same setup worked fine with ISE6.3 and W2K

I was hoping someone had the same troubles and could help me out here:

symptoms:

  1. When source files are saved, (either menu or control S) the navigator pops up a file dialog box asking for file type.

  1. HTML report files are not found

This doesn't happen if the files are local.

I realize this may be a Samba/WXP problem, but at this point anyones experience here would be helpful

Thanks

Peter Wallace

Reply to
Peter C. Wallace

Peter,

It is a WXP/Samba problem. BTDT. About a year (or so) ago, there was a "security update" to 'doze file sharing, which broke the samba client side.

Are you mounting the samba shares, or using a fully-qualified path. (mounted = s:\, fully-qual = \\samba-server\mystuff\)

I've had better luck with the mounted shares. Also clear out the 'my network places' folder; stale handles in there can slow things down.

And I've had the best results when attaching the drive from a cmd window rather than with the explodingxxxxx explorer GUI. c:\>net use s: \\samba-server\mystuff /persistent=yes (or something like that).

Or you could try a different version of Samba. 3.0.25b is current, and 2.2.12 is archived.

G.

Reply to
ghelbig

Thanks. I kind of suspected something like that. I'll try the command line attach, thats a good idea. If that doest work, I'll upgrade Samba. Makes me want to go back to W2K. If it werent for my layout software, I'd switch to Linux. I

Peter Wallace

Reply to
Peter Wallace