Free File Hosting Site

Persistance finally paid off. I found the perfect file hosting site.

It has none of the problems that make other sites useless.

No more posting ASC and PLT files to newsgroup. Just zip them and upload. They are ready to run after unzipping. This makes it very convenient for users since they do not have to cut and paste. You can also include the PLT file to show exactly what you are interested in.

- Files are permanent. They are not deleted after 7, 10, 20, 30 or

90 days.

- Files are not deleted after periods of inactivity.

- No restrictions on filetypes. Some sites block ZIP files.

- No restrictions on filenames. If you can save it to disk you can upload it.

- Max file size is 50 MBytes for free option. This is plenty for ASC files.

- Very simple registration. Minimum information required.

- No restrictions on usernames. You will get back exactly what you registered with.

- No restrictions on passwords. You will get back exactly what you registered with.

- No restrictions on email address. Some sites block email forwarders.

- No logon required to download files, like Google Drive.

- No confusion over which file to download, like Dropbox. You get a link that you can share directly.

- Very simple file upload for Firefox and Chrome.

- Very short download link. You do not need a URL shortener.

- Not likely to go belly up. Commercial operation supported by premium users.

The company is SaberCat File Hosting, at

Here is their FAQ:

SaberCat File Hosting frequently asked questions.

Q: Is this free?

A: Yes, uploading and downloading is 100% Free for all users. We offer premium accounts which allows for greater flexibility with uploading/downloading.

Q: Will my files be removed?

A: Free account files are kept forever. Premium account files are kept forever.

Q: How many files can I upload?

A: You can upload as many files as you want, as long as each one adheres to the Terms of Service and the maximum file upload size.

Q: Which files types am I allowed to upload?

A: You may upload files of any filetype.

Q: Are there any restrictions to the size of my uploaded files?

A: For free users and users who do not have an account, your upload must be less than 50.00 MB in size. For premium upgraded users, the limit is 10.00 GB in size. If your file is larger than that amount, your file will be not be accepted and you must upload a file that is within the file size limits.

Q: How many files can I upload at the same time?

A: Premium users can upload 100 files at the same time. However, if you would like to upload thousands of small files at once, I recommend to zip them up with 7zip (it's free) and then upload the single large zip file instead of thousands of files at once. This will make it much easier to download them all when you need them.

Q: Can I upload music or videos?

A: Yes. Music and video hosting is permitted as long as you own the copyright on the content and it adheres to the terms and conditions.

Q: There are some files on SaberCatHost servers which are copyrighted by me and someone else uploaded them. How can I notify you of them?

A: You can report files on our report abuse pages.

Q: How can I share my files that I uploaded?

A: It's very easy to share your files. First, you can simply log into your account and click the file you want to share. This will open up a dialog that gives you all the info, including links to copy and paste to give to whomever you want to share with.

Additionally, at the bottom of this dialog are also options to share on social media. Also, you can share via email using the tab at the top of the file dialog. See the screenshot below:

(Screenshot Omitted)

Q: How can I share many files at once without having to click each image to get the file link?

A: The easiest way is to create a folder. Then drag and drop into the folder. However, you can also do it by dragging your cursor over the images you want to select, or by holding the CTRL button (COMMAND on Mac) and clicking each of the files you want to share.

Now when you selected all the files you want to share, click the "Links" button in the menu above. See the screenshots below:

Q: How do I create a folder?

A: Creating a folder is easy. There is a menu button that says, "Add Folder". Click that and create your folder. See the screenshot below:

(Screenshot Omitted)

Q: How do I share a folder?

A: To share a folder, just open the folder and click the folder menu button. Here you will see an option, "Share Folder". But first you need to make sure the folder is public if you want to share with other people. The default option is Private for your security. To do this you need to either choose the Privacy option when creating, or click the "Edit" option on the folder button dropdown. See the screenshots below:

(Screenshots Omitted)

Q: Can I drag and drop files I already uploaded into a folder?

A: Yes! To drag and drop, you need to first select the files you want to move into the folder, and then drag into the left menu over top of the folder you want to put the files into. Please note you must drag into the left list and not the folder image. See the screenshot below:

(Screenshot Omitted)

There are currently 14,930,043 people and 402,713 teams using SaberCatHost who have shared 128,887,251 files.

The best designs are no accident - sw
Reply to
Steve Wilson

That seems to be down!

Dropbox is great and always up. The first terabyte or something is free. I like the fact that the files are actually resident on my PC and mirrored to folders on my other PCs. It looks like a shared drive. That's fast, and if the net goes down, I won't lose access to my files. I can post public links too. I can selectively share folders with other people.

No more carrying memory sticks around!

At the end of every day, I run a batch file to push a bunch of stuff from my work PC up to Dropbox, all my active projects and the latest PADS library and the company parts database, things like that.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin
[...]

Works fine for me. Please try again. Have you turned off javascript?

I do not like automatic uploads and mirroring. If you screw up a file, your backups automatically get overwritten with the bad file. I prefer to back up files after they have been verified.

I use VirtualBox to run all my operating systems. They are contained in VDI files. I can save a byte identical copy to a backup in several seconds or minutes, depending on how large the file is. You cannot do that in Windows. Some files will be locked since they are in use.

This feature is extremely useful when you get trapped by some malware site that takes control and won't let you leave. I simply close the operating system and overwrite the bad version with the backup. That happened to me recently when searching for a suitable file hosting site. I would have been screwed if I were running Windows.

It is easy to make father/daughter versions in case I want to go back several versions and retrieve a file I thought I would no longer need and erased it.

I have tried Dropbox numerous times. Cannot seem to get it to work.

There is a penalty when sharing files in Dropbox. There could be a bunch of files to download and you don't know which one is the right one. It would be nice if you could zip all the needed files so they can be downloaded all at once.

What if a file gets corrupted?

--
The best designs are no accident - sw
Reply to
Steve Wilson

you can revert to previous versions on dropbox

if you use the web interface you can download files and directories as a zip

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It was just down for about 10 minutes.

Dropbox saves old versions. I have rules that keep me from screwing up files anyhow.

I have a separate Dropbox folder on my D: drive, and it's for backup and sharing. I wouldn't put my working projects into Dropbox; imagine Spice .RAW files!

Does that actually happen? Scary.

I simply close the operating

How do you ever know which file is the right one?

You need version discipline. I just lectured my team about that, how to control progress during PCB development. Unless you're careful, you can create gigantic mess.

It would

That doesn't happen, but my project files are on my C drive at work, and the Dropbox folders are on a D: partition. I back up to D, which is transparently shared to D drives on my other PCs. It's just like our shared network drives. It is a shared network drive.

Windows is dumb in that drag-drop within one drive is a move but between drives is a copy. Hence Dropbox on D:

I don't zip to share, I just copy files to D:\Dropbox, explicitely or with my daily batch file.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

On a sunny day (Fri, 05 Feb 2021 07:45:56 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in :

For a top-secret design house that also works for army, airforce, etc I would not recommend to put anything in any cloud.

I only have not so secret stuff on my website. The new nuculear warp drive design is safe here on my 4 TB Toshiba USB magicalnetic discs, blurays, M-Discs and USB Flash ;-) In case the nukes fly I hope at least one of those will still work.

But then again, I am sure advanced civilizations with some knowledge like Russia and China will have no problem accessing dropbox...

I am quite sure over here mil would not want me to put things I designed for them in the cloud, any cloud. Even less defense connected companies would say that is a no-no. America?

From the total control POV 'they' would like to know everything of course. Until the power fails..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Go to Control Panel, Netlist Options. You can automatically delete .raw, .net, .log and .fft files.

Yes. Just happened to me, and has happened several times before. Another trick is to install a program that doesn't allow you to remove. That has also happened several times. Another trick is to send an email in html format that contains a file with an image or pdf extension, that is actually an executable file to install malware. You can identify these in a hex viewer. The file starts with the letters "MZ" instead of the standard pdf or image file header.

The way to avoid these is to use a plain ASCII email program. It doesn't know anything about html, or pdf, or any of the image formats. So if someone emails me in html, I strip the tags and reply in plain ASCII.

I think Microsoft did a tremendous disservice to the entire planet by allowing html in email. All it takes s one person in a company to click on a link and the entire company gets hosed.

When you upload a single file, everything is OK. But sometimes you upload multiple files. The thumbnails are not clear enough to tell you what is in the file, so you have to fiddle around until you find something useful.

If you zipped all the files, it would be easy to download the entire bunch and view them offline.

I do have version discipline. I can make multiple backups and idetify them by name, date, or anything else that I need.

But unlike you, I also back up the entire operating system, including the DLLs and all the EXEs. So if a file gets hosed, I simply go to the backup and copy it across.

You may be in for an unpleasant surprise. Files can get corrupted, and you can even lose the entire drive. You have to back up to separate drives, which you do, but a backup on the same drive is disaster waiting to happen.

Some companies go to great lengths to ensure files are not changed or corrupted in any way. They include a MD5 or SHA256 hash to verify the integrity of files. File corruption is real, and it is a serious problem.

I still worry about automatic backups and mirroring files. You really have no way to ensure that a corrupted file doesn't contaminate the entire system.

--
The best designs are no accident - sw
++

Of course. But if I run Spice in a Dropbox shared folder, all that junk will be shared into all the linked PCs. Envision lots of bandwidth.

Our rule is, don't open or run things on network drives. Copy to your local PC and open it there. Same idea applies to Dropbox.

Malwarebytes, and some personal prudence, seems to prevent stuff like that.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

We keep almost everything under version control with git. All but the crown jewels is in private repositories on both GitHub and GitLab, as well as on a variety of computers and NASes scattered here and there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs