Webpack 10.1 on 64-bit linux

Congrats to Xilinx on the recent release of ISE 10.1, and thanks for simultaneously releasing WebPack along with ISE Foundation.

But... it appears the hoops necessary to get the 32-bit webpack working under 64-bit linux (in this case, 64-bit ubuntu 7.10) have changed... I wanted to share what I found so that others might have similar success:

The real challenge is, once you've untarred the webpack tar, you need to run

bin/lin/setup

Now, for me this just returned me to the command line, but running strace bin/lin/setup

showed that it was searching for, and failing to find, a libuuid.so. Now, ubuntu packages this lib (but not a 32-bit version of this lib) so I had to download a 32-bit deb of libuuid

showthread.php?t=203459 following these directions somewhat), extract the archive with "ar x debname", untar the resulting data file, find the libuuid.* files, and -then- copy them into the webpack lib/lin directory. After this, the gui and everything else ran smoothly (still waiting for the install to complete to make sure xst and all that works).

(I understand that xilinx appears to be using the 64-bit capability to price discriminate, but at the same time if you can afford the $$$ xilinx toolchain you can probably also afford a $800 32-bit computer to run it on, whereas a lab like ours (with only 64-bit machines) really relies on the free webpack).

Again, I hope this helps people in a similar situation to me. Now to see if ISE 10.1 can help me shrink my design by the needed 2% to get it to fit!

Reply to
jonas

I also had to finally copy the libuuid.so* files to my $XILINX/ISE/lib/ lin/ directory, but now xst appears to be working fine (knock on wood!)

Reply to
jonas

I have Suse 10.3 x86_64 and the install worked fine for me. However, I can not for the life of me find the executable to start up the webpack. Do you guys know where it is? It is starting to make me go crazy.

Reply to
pillar2012

When you say "start up webpack", do you mean the ISE gui? I've not used it, but I did note that the settings.sh is now settings32.sh and is located under the ISE/ directory.

Reply to
jonas

Yes

I am already aware of those files. These files do not invoke the gui. In version 9.2i there was an executable called ise which would invoke the program/gui. I still have not figured out where this file (I have even looked for anything that would be renamed etc) is.

Newell

Reply to
pillar2012

For me it's /opt/xilinx10.1/ISE/bin/lin/ise, which is placed on my path (so you can invoke it with "ise") when you source the above files. Does it not exist in your install?

Reply to
jonas

No, it does not exist there. I downloaded twice as well just to make sure that it downloaded properly. I will try downloading again but this time I will get the .tar instead of doing the web install.....maybe that will help.

Reply to
pillar2012