V4FX: Cannot access EMAC1 of Dual MAC system

I am implementing an PowerPC embedded system in EDK and am trying to use both emac0 and emac1 hard cores of the fpga. I have implemented two instances of the plb_temac ip core and the hard_temac core in EDK. I've configured the hard_mac core's parameters to include EMAC1, and have assigned unique identifiers to both macs (emac0 = 0, emac1 = 1). I've also connected the "Provider/Command shared host bus" between the two plb_temac cores per the datasheet MHS example.

Using chipscope, i've observed that the host bus to the hard MAC is functioning during read/writes for emac0, but not when addressing emac1. It seems that the plb_temac for emac1 does not initiate a transfer on the host bus.

Has anyone ever configured a dual temac PPC system? I would appreciate any ideas as I am running out.

Thanks

Reply to
JimboD2

To clarify my previous post, I am attempting to read/write to the hard MAC's internal registers (EMAC mode configuration, Management configuration, etc). Thanks

Reply to
JimboD2

You probably forgot to set C_TEMAC_INST in the second PLB temac (in addition to C_TEMAC_BOTH_USED).

I hear there is tcl code to catch this in Xilinx's code, but it's commented out...

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Ben, You may be on to something. In EDK, the C_TEMAC_INST parameter is shown as "Auto Computed" in the "Configure IP" dialog box. However, looking at my libgen.log file i see the following message:

C:\EDK9.1\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\plb_temac_v3_00_a\data \plb_temac_v2_ 1_0.mpd line 56 - plb_temac_1 (plb_temac) tcl is overriding PARAMETER C_TEMAC_INST value to 0

I also see the same message in the platgen.log and system.log files. I guess the question now is, how can i override this value manually and prevent the tools from doing this?

Oh, I double checked, and C_TEMAC_BOTH_USED is checked in both instances of plb_temac cores, so that parameter looks correct.

Thanks for the help, Ben. I think I may be on th right track now.

Reply to
JimboD2

Edit the MHS file in a text editor.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Yeah, I actually tried that this morning. Here's my updated MHS file: BEGIN plb_temac PARAMETER INSTANCE = plb_temac_1 PARAMETER HW_VER = 3.00.a PARAMETER C_TEMAC_BOTH_USED = 1 # User Added parameter JPM 7/16/07 PARAMETER C_TEMAC_INST = 1 # # END USER ADDED parameter PARAMETER C_PLB_CLK_PERIOD_PS = 10000

After re-running all I didnt see the message in platgen.log but still saw the same message in system.log and libgen.log. It seems something is overriding my parameter assignment.

Reply to
JimboD2

I've just heard from Xilinx support that the second MAC does not work with ISE/EDK 9.1. The solution is to upgrade to 9.2.

Ben, thanks again for your help.

Reply to
JimboD2