Using MachXO2 as a SRAM device

Hi,

I have an application where replacing the configuration of the FPGA will occur frequently and hence I do not want to use the built-in FLASH. Having an always-blank device on the board is perfectly fine. The MachXO2 chip is ideal for many reasons, so I don't want to replace it with a purely SRAM-based FPGA.

Now, the "MachXO2 Programming and Configuration Usage Guide" says the FLASH can be programmed via I2C, SPI and JTAG, but the SRAM only via the JTAG. Thy will be done, the JTAG stream will be bit-banged by an MCU. But how do I program the SRAM? The document is very detailed when it comes to *programming*, but I can't see much about (re)configuration. E.g. on page 59 there is a list of programming commands, say, LSC_PROG_INCR_NV -- "Program one Flash page. Can be used to program the Configuration Flash, or UFM." How about the SRAM? The documentation asserts it can be done, but does not care to explain how. I assume it must be simple, but I am obviously missing something. Could you please help?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski