Suggestions for programming flash RAM for SoC via FPGA

Hi, I'm currently trying to store non-voltatile data (32Mbits) in the flash memory connected to an FPGA on a protoboard (Nuhorizon's spartan3 to be specific), unfortunately I am not sure how to proceed.

I'm thinking perhaps I could program the FPGA to pass the data from the JTAG pins to the memory in either a serial or parallel manner, but for the moment this is simply a hunch and wouldn't know how to go about that. Can I simply send data via JTAG using Xilinx's iMPACT software?, I suppose I could also xmodem the data via RS-232, what seems to be the best method?

If you've encountered this problem before, know of a better solution OR (most importantly) could point me to relevent documentation, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Reply to
Edmond Cote

I would go with the serial line. However, keep it simple and don't use xmodem, write your own program. I do this also to download data to the FPGA for Flash programming. A very simple handshake with character echo from the FPGA relieves you from struggling with handshake and buffers in the FPGA (A PC can send up to 15 characters after you heave released CTS!) The donwload program is a 5 liner, you can find examples for the download program and flash programming on my website.

Martin

--

---------------------------------------------- JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs:

"Edmond Cote" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4109c1df_4@aeinews....