Spartan3 JTAG flash In System Programming over Ethernet

I am interested in using the Xilinx 10/100 Ethernet solution supported in their Spartan3 eveluation kit. I have a JTAG based flash PROM XCF02S connected to the Spartan3. I would like to know best way to do the In System Programming of this JTAG based PROM over the ethernet. The Xilinx reference design for the 10/100 ethernet uses Microblaze. We were thinking about putting down GPIO pins from the FPGA to the JTAG based PROM so that it can be programmed over the Ethernet.

If there is already a ready made solution for this then that will help us.

Thanks.

CP

Reply to
cpandya

I've made a programmer that works over ethernet. I've been modifying it over the last few years to get the cost down. I will make it into a product if there is a demand for such a programmer. I can program fpga's (altera and xilinx), as well as spi devices, i2c, and microchip microcontrollers. It can also program several flash devices attached to other processors etc which have a jtag interface.

I use it under linux, and the benefit is that you don't need a driver other than the network driver that is available with most (if not all) operating systems.

Would there be any interest in such a programmer, or will most users want to stick with the programmers provided by the vendors?

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Sorry, why do you need a programmer for this? Would it be possible to first write the flash memory on the fpga to load a minimal network stack that can interact with the jtag/ethernet interface, then directly program the FPGA over a null ethernet cable?

Fei

linux (192.168.1.1) fpga_ethernet (192.168.1.2) fpga spi flash

Reply to
Fei Liu

Something that would be really nice is a parallel port programmer. With a huge twist... Years ago I've build an eprom emulator which simply simulates a printer. Configuring it is a matter of printing text commands. Downloading the hex file is simply a matter of printing it. No device drivers whatsoever are required. It will work with USB to parallel converters (including the crappy ones). There is full flow control as well and it is bleeding fast. It amazes me no-one ever came up with something like that.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Shouldn't be too hard for passive serial / slave serial modes - just a little logic on the LPT strobe and 1 data bit (using all bits and a shift register would be tempting, but then you'd need an appropriate local clock, the speed of which may need to detect the strobe speed somehow).

Where this breaks down is trying to do JTAG when you don't know the commands - for example, trying to run one of Altera's JAM files that's looking for a response beyond just monitoring a status bit infrequetly.

Also, in this day and age, simply dumping strobed bytes out the LPT is going to require a driver. And a USB to parallel converter is going to require a driver... Figure that you may still need some level translation, and something based on a cypress fx2 USB micro may make more sense.

Reply to
cs_posting