strange letter from Xilinx

In 2001 I bought a seat of Xilinx Foundation (before Ise). I did not renew the service contract because it was working fine, and then Ise and WebPack came out.

I had to go to the post office to sign for a certified letter. In it was a check for $0.03 reimbursing me for an overcharge on state sales tax. I hate to think how much it cost them to repay this, with clerical costs, printing the check, sending out the certified mail, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Probably less than they spent on lawyers going back and forth with Aldec about "uncounted seats." By the way, if you support any designs built with old Foundation package, hold onto it. The new ISE stuff doesn't read the old (Aldec-based) Foundation projects.

-- Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

Oh, I am ALL too well aware of this. I have a couple designs on old 5V Spartan, but hopefully there will never be any revisions of those. I hated the Aldec schematic entry so much I crafted a way to use Protel to generate the structural VHDLm but then these files needed to be edited a bit. It was a big mistake, but I did eventually move almost everything over to "real" VHDL.

I am staying with Ise 10.1 to retain compatibility with Spartan IIE chips until those migrate to something newer.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

ahh.. I believe many still hold on the Fndtn series, started with 1.4 and ended up with 4.2 ...

Reply to
Mawa_fugo

I've still got the CDs for 3.1, and 4.2, and maybe some others. Currently, I only have Ise loaded, and hope not to need to go back to those older packages.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson