Speeding up FPGA designs

I'm looking for recommended practices for tuning my FPGA design. Merly cranking up the constraints and eyeballing the TA output doesn't seem to work very well for non-trivial problems (I find it very hard to relate back to my RTL).

Presumedly the better approach is to work on submodules though timing estimates for individual modules are highly likely to be too optimistic as they do not account for inter-module connections and competition for resources.

I vaguely remember reading about in a Xilinx app note how they had two versions of a particular module (an SDRAM controller?), one for real use and one for estimating the performance. The difference IIRC was that input and output were registered.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tommy -- fpga at numba-tu dot com

Reply to
Tommy Thorn

Tommy, Well, that's the way I normally do it. Look at the paths that fail in the TA and then pipeline the paths. After a while you learn to pipline everything anyway, the FFs are free and don't use that much power. I guess this doesn't really help, but there you go! Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Reply to
Paul Hartke