Specifying top level generics with XST 7.1

Hello,

We have a parameterizable (via top level generics) VHDL design that we are trying to put into an FPGA using the Xilinix XST (Version 7.1) tools.

We can't find any way within the tool of specifying values for the generics as part of the build process.

Are we not looking hard enough, or does the feature not exist ?

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Reply to
moogyd

Q1. Can XST pass generics in the command line? A1. This feature is currently not supported. Support for this feature is planned for ISE 9.1i.

But you can pass generic via instantiation and/or at the top, use a package to define your constant. That's what I do and It works.

Reply to
Alain

Unfortunately, XST does NOT support this very useful feature that's been in the language since basically the beginning.

It's worth noting that Quartus synthesis supports this feature.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters