Specifying LVDS I/O's in Xilinx FPGA's

Hi,

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

I attempted to define my LVDS inputs via the UCF file for my Xilinx spartan xc3s1500.

NET data_in LOC = F19 | IOSTANDARD = LVDS_25 ;

the Xilinx answer record impies that this will work OK.

Unfortunately I get the following warning, and the input is set to a standard LVCMOS25.

WARNING:Pack:946 - The I/O component data_in has an illegal I/O standard value. Components of type IOB do not support I/O standard LVDS_25. Please correct the IOSTANDARD property value.

I am using ISE 8.2 (Release 8.2.03i Map I.34)

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Do I need to istantiate the I/O buffers?

Thanks for any input,

Steven

Reply to
moogyd

Hi Steven, I usually instantiate the IBUFDS (see libraries guide) in my HDL and go from there. Don't forget your terminations...

INST "LVDS_P" DIFF_TERM = TRUE; INST "LVDS_N" DIFF_TERM = TRUE;

Also, the tools sometimes get their knickers in a twist about 3.3V and 2.5V banks. Googling should solve that for you.

HTH., Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Do you realize that the LVDS *is* a differential signals and requires two pins to be defined in the design file?

Reply to
John_H

defparam buf_100.IOSTANDARD = "LVPECL_25"; defparam buf_103.IOSTANDARD = "LVPECL_25";

IBUFDS buf_100 (.I(pad_dsp_adc_fsync_cmd_p), .IB (pad_dsp_adc_fsync_cmd_n), .O(dsp_adc_fsync_cmd) ); OBUFDS buf_103 (.I(adc_dsp_sdo_q_p), .O(pad_adc_dsp_sdo_p), .OB(pad_adc_dsp_sdo_n) );

Always check the following doc file for good reference to primitives : /Xilinx/doc/useglish/books/lib/lib.pdf

-- Regards, John Retta Owner and Designer Retta Technical Consulting Inc. Colorado Based Xilinx Consultant

email : snipped-for-privacy@rtc-inc.com web :

John Retta

Thanks for all the responses.

I instantiated the buffers directly in the HDL with no problems.

I know that the S/W is "free", but I don't know why the documentation implies that you can just specify the buffers in the UCF (I had the same issue with BUFG's).

Anyway, thanks again,

Steven

Reply to
moogyd