Single Chip MSX computer full schematic and VHDL sources

Hi

there is the distribution archive for the one chip MSX project would be fun to convert it for some xilinx board, :)

I have been hunting for those VHDL code for ages, all links ended dead somewhere, but with heavy searching the archive was found too.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Thanks f=F6r sharing Antti!! Have you begun converting it to the XIlinx platform? How much work is it? I just love trying out/collecting new platforms for my Starter-Kit. After a look in the archive its originally for the Altera FPGA's but the standard T80 Is this the same product as the One Chip MSX at:

pmsx.html If so that means that the product builds on open-source, is this OK with the creators of f.e. T80-core? If I were to build/construct a similar old-style platform but would be using these basic building blocks that are downloadable, would this be OK? Can anyone explain the license issues with this type of hardware-constructs?

Reply to
spartan3wiz

Cool! Is it the MSX-I or MSX-II? I believe I have the MSX-II video chip in VHDL somewhere... Never bothered to do something with it though.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

ipmsx.html

After doing a quick fix-up (ugly code changes made), it builds to only

54% of my Spartan3-200K. Nice! What I've done so far is to change some syntax for array 'range and 'high that seem to be non-standard but seem to work OK. I've also commented out the altera-specific RAM-instanciations and PLL-usages. These would of course only need to be mapped against BlockRAM and DCM's, is that correct? I need to continue working on a VHDL laboration but it would be nice to see the computer starting up. Please post/CVS changes somewhere if somebody else is better than me on porting from Quartus to ISE. Good luck!
Reply to
spartan3wiz

chipmsx.html

some answers

1) yes this is the stuff referenced from bazix.nl 2) yes, it is based on opensource IP's, there archive as "found" had no separate license restrictions applied... so I dont see any issues using the code base

3) if you or anyone wants to contribute, you are welcome to join the project(s) at code.google.com there are all projects tools including code repository (SVN) already available, i think all that is needed is googlemail account (if needed I can send invite)

Antti

Reply to
Antti

chipmsx.html

hum, what synthesis tool you use? ISE 9.1 with speed goal give me (for s3-4000)

Number of MULT18X18s 21 out of 96 21% Number of RAMB16s 24 out of 96 25% Number of Slices 8193 out of 27648 29% Number of SLICEMs 512 out of 13824 3%

8193 slices is not 54% of XC3S200 ??

Antti

Reply to
Antti

hum,, good question, need look sources to understand i guess..

I just uploaded the "XST fixed" VHDL sources also, they are good at least for resource estimate runs.

100% of logic and BRAM of XC3S1000

Antti

Reply to
Antti