Simulating Cyclone II PLL

Hi,

I've got a problem which has me stumped.

We've got a design that actually *runs* in real hardware. I'm in the process of adding the block to an existing testbench that contains other FPGAs.

In the new design (Cyclone II) is a PLL, input frequency 24MHz. I'm generating the clock input in the testbench (VHDL). Two output clocks are used, C1 & C2, both 112MHz (slight phase difference).

I've imported the .VHO output into the testbench, together with the cycloneii_atoms and cycloneii_components files. I should also add that the altera_mf & 220pack files are also in the project (for other modules).

But, when I simulate the design, C1 & C2 are driving 'X'. Looking inside the PLL, it's not locking. According to the doco, it should lock in (IIRC) 2-10 cycles - I'm simulatng for *thousands* of cycles. And the simulation resolution is set to 1ps. I've also tried eliminating the phase offset for C2.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Anyone else had problems simulating cycloneii PLLs?

FWIW I've had no problems in the past with cycloneii pll simulation, although that project did *not* include altera_mf and 220pack files.

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McDougall

Hi Mark,

We would like to verify the condition that you describe. Please create a mysupport case so the problem gets logged and escalated. Additionally if you can email me the Quartus archive of your project along with your simulation setup that would be useful. Please identify the Quartus version, simulator tool being used (Modelsim, Native Simulator etc), the waveforms or test bench being used and the time range in the output waveform where the problem is being seen.

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Are you using Reset for PLL ?

Rgds Andr=E9