s3a kit - Use sma as signal output ?

Is it possible to use the sma connector on the s3a or s3e boards as a signal output not just a clock output ?

I haven't properly used a dcm yet (only a few very basic designs) so I'm not sure if this is possible or not.

Trying to find a cheap way of doing a software defined radio in an fpga.

Thank you

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Hi,

For the Spartan-3A Starter Kit, you can use it as an input or output, but I would note that it's single-ended, using the system ground as the shield/reference.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Crabill

Alex,

Have you looked into:

Generally, using a FPGA for SDR is only required when the radio is doing something other than FM, AM, SSB, or low data rate digital mod/demod.

Details a 'solution' using the Cyclone FPGA.

(This was before I gave my one day FPGA class to the TAPR folks).

Austin

Reply to
austin

Thanks but we want to just stick with xilinx as we get the tools as part of the uni program.

Have looked at the dsp 10 kits. After something a lot more flexible.

The

sasquatch board sounds like what we are after but we need something that is stand alone not with a backplane.

Just working towards setting up a student lab for sdr using fpga's and dsps(TI).

What they (professor and others) want is boards dsp and fpga on which students can program certain blocks like modulation, demodulation, encoders/decoders and the rest of the design is premade blocks.

So dsp/fpga does the audio encoding and modulation then goes to an upconverter and output/power amp. Same for the decode. Want the the students(telecomms) to learn sdr using c , vhdl and matlab

Thank you

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson