Req to Xilinx: eCos port for Microblaze

Dear Xilinx,

Would you **please** consider investing money/effort into an eCos port to Microblaze?

Altera has sponsored a company to do an eCos port to NIOS-II and I'm seriously considering using it. I realize that uCLinux for Xilinx exists, but it is still being developed and has footprint/requirements larger than many applications need.

Please take into consideration the fact that sometimes a working proof of concept is required before others within a company are willing to fully support or fund a project. Something like eCos would allow me to do my proof of concept, on my own time, and have the basis for a real product when I'm done.

The cost of entry is only my time and the development hardware we have already purchased -- there are nothing else my company would need to spend. An approach like this is much easier to sell than asking for money up-front.

And before someone points out it would be faster (in terms of time-to-market) using an existing a closed-source RTOS that's been ported to Microblaze, for some of the projects I or my company want to do, we're trying to keep them open-source so we can build a community around it and allow users to customize and add their own features. Most RTOS vendors have strict policies on source code and/or licensing.

Finally, consider that an eCos Microblaze question has come up multiple times on the eCos mailing lists, even very recently. I am therefore, not the only person who would want this.

Sincerely, Ram.

Reply to
Ram

A port of eCos to the PowerPC embedded in Virtex-II Pro and Virtex-4 FX FPGAs exists. This could be your approach as proof of concept.

Many other embedded OS have been ported to PowerPC and MicroBlaze. See

for a list of those.

- Peter

Ram wrote:

Reply to
Peter Ryser

Thank you for your suggestion.

What concerns me is the cost of a V2-P or a V4-FX -- I doubt we could meet a reasonable target price for a potential consumer-oriented product. Thus, it would also be unreasonable to invest a significant amount of time in a SOPC product that we could not get to market.

Thank you, but I have seen this and most of the other pages related to EDK/Microblaze/V2P. There aren't any other Open Source RTOSes listed there for Microblaze (besides John Williams's uCLinux), unless I've missed something.

I suppose these days, without huge customers beating the doors of companies making requests, everything else is scattered to the wind...

Ram.

Reply to
Ram