[ann] Microblaze uClinux Demo released

Microblaze uClinux Demo Package Released

We are pleased to announce the first public release of the Microblaze uClinux demo package, available for download from the project web site:

We have ported the uClinux operating system to the Microblaze soft processor core, developed by Xilinx for their FPGA family. The demo provides an easy-to-use package that demonstrates the progress and potential of uClinux running on Microblaze. The uClinux kernel is released under the GNU GPL.

The package contains an operating system image, FPGA bitstreams and scripts to get everything working. Currently, the Insight/Memec V2MB1000 prototyping boards are supported. If you have a different board, contact us and we may be able to help you port the hardware to your platform.

If you have any problems downloading or using the demo, please send an email to snipped-for-privacy@itee.uq.edu.au with the subject "uclinux demo".

Regards,

John Williams

--
Dr John Williams, Research Fellow,
Reconfigurable Computing, School of ITEE

question: if I take the mbvanilla EDK project from your website and recompile it for example for ML300 would it work with the supplied linux bootimage? I mean if I keep all the peripherals the same as in the vanilla design, or is the hardware in the supplied .bit images from some other design?

antti lukats

Reply to
Antti Lukats

It will indeed work - the demo bit file is just mbvanilla targetting the V2MB1000. Just make sure you keep the address map the same, eg the location of your main RAM bank, which the kernel expects to find at

0x80000000, for 16 Mb. Also the bootloader expects there to be AMD-style flash at 0xFF000000. The source of the bootloader comes with the mbvanilla project so you should have no trouble changing that if necessary.

I'm going to freeze the mbvanilla design today, time to move on to the next target, so if you check on the website soon you'll find a "golden" copy of it that should be very eay to port. I haven't played with an ML300 but if it has similar resources to the V2MB1000 then it should just be a matter of changing the ucf file and resynthesising.

I'd be keen to host the ML300 version of mbvanilla once you're done.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams
[mbvanilla on ml300 with linux image.bin?]

ml300 has (lots of things) + DDR RAM (no FLASH) it is possible to preload the RAM from compact flash, so there is no need for flash, and if the linux image expects to see the flash its a problem :( I really would not like to write a ip core that 'emulates' the non existing flash

I have looked at mb ulinux several times, but while working on w2k workstation it looks very complicated to get all the things to compile.

antti PS I also have memec board with S2 600E and comm160 module there it would possible be easier to get the mbvanilla and image.bin to work.

but,,, the flash on p160comm is not AMD?

Reply to
Antti Lukats

That's pretty cool. I see on your page

a link to gcc/newlib build instructions, and I gather the source for your modified gcc is at
However, I see no mention of Microblaze anywhere in the gcc mailing list archives. Is Xilinx planning on contributing their Microblaze port back to the GCC project, i.e. have they executed a copyright assignment so upcoming versions of gcc can supprt Microblaze out-of-the-box?

I ask partly because I'm wondering if it's worth folding Microblaze support into my generic toolchain build script

or PTXDist. This would be somewhat difficult Microblaze used a special hacked version of gcc...

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

Hi Dan,

I'm not sure.

To do so would be very useful for the microblaze / uClinux community, since currently we are unable to build our own toolchains, and are somewhat reliant on Xilinx for that. We have the source, but aren't really able to build it yet.

I don't think there's anything too radical in there, but I'm not a gcc expert by any means.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams