Read output from external chip using microblaze

Hi all I got stuck with my design. I'm planning to use microblaze in ML505 board to read my full custom chip output and display to hyperterminal.

I've found one tutorial about read DIP switch using microblaze, but here I want the output of my external chip to be read by microblaze.

I'm confused of the device_ID that I should use in my programming so that the microbalze can read the signal.

FYI, I want to test my chip by driven the input signal using test vector that I've designed using VHDL in Virtex-5(ML505)and the test vector output will be the input of my chip. Then my chip will produce the output and display at hyperterminal using microblaze.

Hope somebody can help me with this. Thanks

nana_7488

ChipscopePro does that, I think. I mean, I know what chipscope does; just not sure if you meant what I thought you were trying to say. There's a 30 day free eval license.

The microblaze needs the embedded tools edition. That's dandy if you have it already. (In which case, you already have ChipscopePro.) Eval license for that is also available.

I wouldn't take the microblaze approach, to solve apparently a small problem with a much larger project. I'm assuming here that if the data rate is slow enough to make a serial terminal feasible, it's a tiny tiny problem.

Gpio interface is the answer to your dipswitch question. Anything much more complex really would be better on chipscope.

Reply to
MikeWhy

output

What is the interface of the "full custon chip" that you want to read? Or is it just a bunch of signals?

RCIngham

board

that

Hi my interface is a test vector generator(vhdl file) to generate the 2 input of 8-bit to my full custom chip. output of my chip will be read again and compare with expected result and also to display at hyperterminal.

Actually i want to make this simple, but this is the only plan I have to display the output by using microblaze.

Do you have any idea to solve my prob?Thanks.

nana_7488

here

vector

input

Does the phrase "sledgehammer to crack a nut" mean anything to you? Unless you are allergic to HDLs, it is time to learn digital design and Verilog or VHDL.

RCIngham