RAM in Xilinx Spartan II

I've got a beginner question concerning instantiating RAM inside a Spartan II XC2S50 using WebPack. When attempting something like the following:

type ram_array is array(0 to memsize-1) of std_logic_vector(width-1 downto 0);

the HDL synthesis reports using a 8-bit 1024-to-1 multiplexer. Is the synthsizer trying to build the RAM out of flipflops? Should I build my RAM out of ram32x1s type primitives instead?

-- Joe Lawrence take out the ZZ's for email

Reply to
Joe Lawrence

your type declaration looks okay, so it's probably a problem with the "process" statement where you're using the signal of type "ram_array." could you post that code up?

try searching for "inferring ram" in XST's user manual or on xilinx's web site. they should give you a template of how to word your VHDL such that XST can properly infer your ram.

--Vinh

Reply to
Vinh Pham

Thanks for the tip, I found a synthesis guide on the xilinx website that provided me with the information I needed.

-- Joe Lawrence remove the zz's for email

Reply to
Joe Lawrence