PCI-X bridge from Xilinx LogiCORE and half bridge

Hi. I'm considering Xilinx LogiCORE PCI-X core, and Xilinx HalfBridge core for building a PCI-X bridge.

Can anyone share experience with these cores for PCI bridge application ? Does these cores deal with the address translation from "type 1" to "type 0" ?

ThankX NAHUM

Reply to
Nahum Barnea

Hello,

To get a better answer, you'll have to be more specific about what you want to build. Are you trying to build a fully compliant PCI(-X) to PCI(-X) bridge? If that is the case, you should buy an ASSP to do the job.

The Xilinx PCI and PCI-X LogiCOREs, as you might buy them over the web, have Type 0 configuration spaces and are not suitable for compliant bridging applications. However, there are other options and it depends on what you are trying to do.

What exactly are you trying to do? Eric

Reply to
Eric Crabill

Hi. Well it is not just a bridge, and thats why I cant buy an ASSP.

In the Half Bridge application note from Xilinx, there is specific chapter dealing with bridging between several PCI-X cores. I do not need the core to be fully PCI bridge compliant, nor have PCI bridge configuration header within it. What I need is that the core will capture type 1 configuration cycles and reflect them on the user application side of the core. In this way I could have my own logic to translate those transactions to type 0 configuration transaction on other busses I have connected to our FPGA.

ThankX, NAHUM

Reply to
Nahum Barnea

Hello,

Fair enough.

The Xilinx PCI and PCI-X LogiCORE products do not accept Type 1 configuration cycles. They can, however, generate both Type 1 and Type 0 configuration cycles. This makes them suitable for host bridge designs. It makes them unsuitable for the type of design you described.

You may ask, then, what the application note is referring to when it discusses bridging bus segments. That application is for making a "cross-link" bridge between two bus segments, where there is already a host for each segment. I will admit that the document is not entirely clear on this point, and I have asked the authors to correct the application note.

If you are interested in pursuing your desired application, you should contact your Xilinx FAE, who will be able to assist you.

Good luck, Eric

Reply to
Eric Crabill

Hi Eric, How will the core behave if the host will issue a type 1 configuration cycle while selecting the xilinx device with IDSEL? Can my internal logic sniff configuration transaction on the PCI bus?

ThankX, NAHUM

Reply to
Nahum Barnea

Hello,

It will ignore the cycle, because it was designed to do so.

Not really. The v3.0 core has some provision to do things like this, but the v5.0 core does not. Plus, even if you could, the configuration mechanism will not work properly. What if you need to do a config read? Snooping won't help, because you need to actively participate in the transaction.

If you contact your Xilinx FAE, and indicate you need to do a PCI bridging application, they can help you.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Crabill