PCB Stack

Hi

I am designing a PCB with a Virtex II Pro and some DDR memory so need t use a controlled impedance board. I am going to use an 8 layer board. M question is do I need to specify to the PCB manufacturer the variou thickness of each layer and the gaps or is there a standard that they wil use.

Cheers

Jon

Reply to
maxascent

'Controlled impedance' means just that, you (the engineer) specify the stackup so that the impedance meets the requirements for your design. Leaving it to the PCB manufacturer means that you're not controlling it but willing to accept whatever they may happen to make.

KJ

Reply to
KJ

I understand what you are saying but is there any industry standard value that are used. If I were to use these then I can adjust my track size t get the impedance I need.

Cheers

Jon

Reply to
maxascent

Contact the PCB manufacturer and tell them the stackup (for example, signal, GND, 3.3V, signal), tell them the impedance that you want and have them tell you the design rules (for example, 5 mil lines and 5 mil spaces). Controlled impedance is a combination of line width and spacing, dielectric thickness and dielectric constant. The board manufacturer knows what dielectrics are available to them, so they can advise what rules to use for their dielectrics.

--
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity

Yes, ask your manufacturer.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Our typical flow is: 1) propose stackup, 2) ask vendor for comments, 3) if it's not laughable results from the new guy, evaluate the vendor's tweaks to the stackup, 4) lay out with the requisite line widths.

There is no standard, only required dielectric thicknesses for your line widths or vice-versa. If you specify impedances, they will tweak the line widths for the dielectrics they use by adding test coupons for TDR measurements to guarantee production within your tolerance.

Reply to
John_H

but

In most cases board manufacturers have much better abilities to control impedance than board designers. I usually would run Polar impedance calculator to make sure my design is feasible but would leave actual precise control to the board house. In some cases where it matters (RF) I would add some extra constraints such as, for example, dielectric thickness should be at least 10 mil. The line widths don't have to be exact in the design. The board house will fix them. Interestingly, our board house doesn't charge extra if they need to decrease the line width to below 4 mil for the impedance control purposes, but they do charge if the lines are below 4 mil in the original design!

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

There is no standard, but most of the boards use FR4 material with the dielectric constant of about 4.3. It works out that a 5 mil track with 5 mil separation from a plane (assuming the second plane is at least 15 mil away) gives you approximately 50 Ohm impedance.

How many layers of your stackup are planes? Generally speaking a 8-layer board is not very convenient for impedance control. To make it easy you need to have planes next to your top and bottom layers as well as the planes separating each two internal signal layers. Consider 10 layers instead:

  1. Top
  2. Plane
  3. In1
  4. In2
  5. Plane
  6. Plane
  7. In3
  8. In4
  9. Plane
  10. Bottom

Note that there is an issue of copper balance, i.e. the stackup needs to be symmetrical to prevent board warpage.

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Not really, it's up to you to work out the details but they're not terribly difficult to work out then you'll find that in many cases you'll carry over what you did to your next design since it worked so good for you last time. Some of the constraints you'll have are:

  1. Overall board thickness. If you have any through hole components (connectors now a days can be about it but don't overlook it or you'll find some part where the leads won't go all the way through and won't get properly soldered). .062, .093 and .125" are some common thicknesses that are driven by the lead length of 'typical' industry parts.
  2. Available dielectric materials to use and their thicknesses. Unless you're doing something exotic the material is likely FR4. Check with PCB suppliers for some common thicknesses that they have and their line thickness/spacing constraints.
  3. Balanced stackup. Whether you work your way from top to bottom or bottom to top the layers that are power/ground planes need to be symmetrical. (i.e. Top, Plane, Plane, Bottom is the simple case for a 4 layer board). As you work your way in, the thicknesses of the layers need to be symmetric as well.
  4. If every layer needs to have controlled impedance then adjacent to each and every signal layer must be a power/ground plane layer. Some examples: 10 layers would be (Top, Plane, Sig, Sig, Plane, Plane, Sig, Sig, Plane, Bottom). 12 layers would be (Top, Plane, Sig, Sig, Plane, Sig, Sig, Plane, Sig, Sig, Plane, Bottom). You'll find that you'll have some difficulty working out an 8 layer arrangement so if it has to be 8 you'll need to make some tradeoffs.
  5. Minimum required line and trace widths that you need to actually route the board. Except for power or other high current nets you'll likely be better off making everything the same line width and be done with it (but again, different applications have their exceptions).
  6. Impedance control. For digital applications 'many' times you don't so much care what the actual impedance is just that it doesn't vary from layer to layer since odds are you won't be able to route everything on one layer. If that's the situation then you may want to work out a target impedance to shoot for and a layer to layer difference that must be met. As an example, maybe you spec that you want the impedance of each signal layer to be 55+/-
5 ohms. That allows the supplier a relatively wide window to shoot for. But you also want to constrain them so that you don't have Sig1 = 50 ohms, Sig2 = 60 ohms so you need to have an additional spec that says what the largest layer to layer impedance differential you're willing to tolerate will be (2 ohms maybe). The supplier really won't have much trouble meeting this spec since it will likely require them to use the same material and thickness for most of the layers. What will make it difficult is the actual impedance of a layer is important and you can't trade off either overall board thickness or trace width. Working out the math to figure out a rough cut at the impedance and stackup ahead of time will help, if not work with the supplier and talk through what your requirements are and they can pop out a stackup for you in nothing flat since that's they're business.

The PCB supplier is generally keenly interested in nailing #1, 2 and 3 to minimize their cost and come up with something that they can fabricate economically so you can expect them to help you get those right. #4, 5 and

6 though generally don't impact their costs directly they really are constraints that they need to be able to meet so you need to be the one driving them to make sure that the stackup meets your product requirements in those areas.

KJ

Reply to
KJ

Thanks all for the advice. Regarding my stack I was planning to do this :-

Top Gnd Power Mid1 Mid2 Power Gnd Bottom

Does the above seem sensible or would it be better to use 10 layers?

Cheers

Jon

Reply to
maxascent

maxascent schrieb:

As you are likely to have more than two power supply voltages you should substitute one of the ground planes by another power plane. For impedance control it does not matter what the electrical potential of the plane is.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Personally, I like your stackup. Having chopped-up power planes is fine as long as certain precautions are taken:

Make sure the power islands aren't fed over tiny tracks Place adequate decoupling on the power islands Have adequate decoupling caps near plane splits (to provide a decent return current path)

Every time a signal changes layers, there's a chance to introduce crosstalk through common return paths. A sprinkling of decoupling caps and/or ground/ground connections helps reduce the current loops that can make EMI/EMC nasty in addition to the crosstalk issues.

Reply to
John_H
1 GND plane in an 8-layer stack? I was under the belief that yes, a power plane can serve as a return path for a signal, but it's not preferred or equal over a GND plane. I would think partitioning the power planes is a safer bet than cutting another GND layer.
Reply to
jai.dhar

The stackup you have looks good but are 3+ routing layers going to be sufficient? Technically you have 4 but for a surface mount board the top surface is so cluttered with parts that it turns out to not be something that you can actually route a lot on unless there is a lot of nice patterning to how the parts happen to have to be connected.

One thing left out is probably the MOST important consideration from an EMI perspective. If you have chopped up planes make sure that NO signal crosses that split unless it has been adequately filtered. Keep in mind that if the chopped up plane is providing the AC return path that when it encounters a plane split that you've just made yourself a huge loop that will radiate and distort whatever signal you're trying to send across it...so it best not be any sort of periodic signal or anything of importance.

If you do have to jump the gap, bridge it with as large of a resistor as possible that still allows your circuit to function...and that's only after you've exhausted all ways to avoid having a signal cross the gap in the first place.

KJ

Reply to
KJ

I personally don't like this stackup because you have designated your Top and Bottom layers to be your high-speed layers; ie, the layers adjacent to GND planes being the best. I would move the high speed layers to the inside instead of your outer two, or even separate teh power and GND planes. I have used Alternating Power and GND and it worked quite well. I do hear that Coupling the planes is good for some capacitive-related reasons however, so I can't comment on that..

Reply to
jai.dhar

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

Nope.

As a power supply for a high speed circuit you need a low inductance power supply. A CMOS circuit is completly symmetric between VCC and GND. The magnitude of electrical effects will depend on the maximum of the VCC and GND inductance.

Driving a falling output for example will make the GND plane bounce up, driving a rising output will make the VCC blane bounce down. Both changes the input threshold voltage by the same magnitude introducing jitter and reducing the noise margin.

Therefore design all supplies for the same inductance. The only difference is that GND usually is common for the whole board, whereas sometimes certain power supply voltages are only need in some areas of the board so that you can have one plane in one half of the board and another in the other half.

Islands are possible but very dangerous. Remember that you can not have a high speed signal cross the island boundary on the adjacent routing layer. Haveing a seprate layer for each supply therefore simplifies routing a lot.

Also consider microvias. They save a lot of area, are great for signal integrity and do not cost much extra.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma