Partial Reconfig - PAR fails with ISE 6.1 SP3

I have a simple partial reconfig design. Under ISE6 SP2 it is only routable using fpga editor, command line PAR fails with the message 'abnormal program termination'. Not a big problem as fpga editor does the job!

But after installing SP3, command line PAR and fpga editor fail reporting the design is unroutable. The problem is confirmed as being SP3 as I have now uninstalled it and the design routes OK.

If anyone is having similar problems routing a design you may want to do the same.

I would also like to thank Kamal Patel at Xilinx for his help and for creating a Spartan 2 bus macro, amazing service!! Cheers :)

Reply to
Ian

Hello, Ian:

I saw you mentioned the Spartan-2 bus macro, could you exchange it with me? I am willing to trade for it with a complete partial reconfig design (vertex-2)...that was the tutorial I did, though...My email address is snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

Best Regards, Kelvin

Reply to
kelvin8157

I don't know if you saw the thread about this a few days ago, I had some similar inexplicable problems with the tools producing invalid NCDs, that would crash the FPGAeditor and bitgen tools.

The bottom line seems to be that there are still a lot of issues to be worked out! I'm sorry I don't have any concrete suggestions for your problem, but it does make me wonder...

Would there be interest in a partial reconfiguration research mailing list? Or, is there already such a thing?

Our department has a list-server configured and ready for use (I currently run the microblaze uclinux list on it). I'd be happy to setup and maintain such a list, if there was interest.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams

Kelvin, bus macro sent via Email. Anybody else need this part just ask!!

John, I'm glad it's not just me!

Also, thanks to John, the partial reconfig list is now active at

just one thought however, does it have to be restriced to Xilinx devices??

Cheers All, Ian.

Reply to
Ian

Thanks for the advertising Ian :) Anyone wanting to join can send an email to snipped-for-privacy@itee.uq.edu.au, with the *body text*

subscribe partial-reconfig

Not at all - I just wonder how much of the detailed implementation / tool flow discussion would be relevant between brands A & X.

I'm happy to broaden the charter to partial and dynamic reconfiguration generally.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams