P&R based on the post-map simulation model?

Hi, I need to modify the netlist generated from "Generate Post-map simulation model"(i.e. netgen).

After the netlist modifcation, can I continue the work of place&route based on the modified simulation model netlist?

Thanks!

Eric

chifalcon

simulation

Short answer: no.

Why do you need to modify the post-map SIMULATION netlist?

RCIngham

tion

Long answer: You can't Place & Route a *simulation* netlist, before or after modification.

Reply to
NeedCleverHandle

As the other posters have already said, it is not really possible to do what you are asking.

However, you can do something similar by modifying the post map NCD file. The key is to convert the NCD file into ASCII format in the form of an XDL netlist.

You can do this using the xdl command from xilinx with the -ncd2xdl and

-xdl2ncd switches.

Another way of doing this is to open the mapped NCD file in the FPGA editor and create a script that does the modification. Then you can use fpga_edline to execute the script in batch mode.

I wouldn't recommend this though unless you have some really good reason for doing this. The main use case I've seen so far is to merge debug tools such as a logic analyzer into the design after synthesis is complete so that you don't need to rerun synthesis every time you wish to connect different signals to your logic analyzer. (In previous versions of ISE it was actually possible to do this kind of merging after place and route, but I haven't found a good way of doing this in newer versions of ISE. [1])

regards /Andreas

[1] In earlier versions you could give a partially routed NCD file to par and tell it to just route the remaining wires. This does not seem possible to do any longer unfortunately...
Reply to
Andreas Ehliar