New PCI extender

Hello everyone

Just wanted to share some of my recent experience from switching to Amfeltec PCI extender from the one from Ultraview (the old one burnt last month). Amfeltec works very nice for me - easy to plug in, compact enough to fit a small box, comes with software for Linux, FreeBSD and Windows and also different types of brackets. The extender has a built-in byte blaster that I use with my Xilinix and Altera FPGAs, which means that I need now just one tool instead of three.

It's a cool product, quite unique I'd say, the more I use the more I like it. You can find it at

Stev

Reply to
Steven

I see just one problem... It won't handle longer (PCI raw form-factor) PCI cards without an additional riser. Are you using the hot plug capability and if so, how does it work?

Steven wrote:

Reply to
Gabor

Hi I didn't see a long pci cards for a long time (may be some evaluation board still uses long size). You can still use additional riser (as you mention) But, this PCI extender is really good for the mid/low size. I'm using hot swap software from Amfeltec (it comes with PCI Extender) under Linux and it very simple to install/use. Linux:

  1. Load the small driver (you can load it on startup).
  2. Run utility to read pci configuration and store it into a file.
  3. Now, you can switch off PCI Extender and replace your test card.
  4. Switch on PCI Extender and update pci configuration using the same utility
  5. you ready to go. Under Windows platform, it has almost the same procedure.

Stev

Reply to
Steven