Need some help with some technical claims...

In the days when software wasn't patentable and hardware was, the distinction was important. There were stories about the patent for virtual memory, being both hardware and software and the problems trying to patent it.

Yes, the distinction is only important to lawyers.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Hi Philip,

It's not a client, it's a physicist who used an FPGA once (or twice)...and knows more than I do about electrical engineering and FPGAs. If that is true, perhaps I ought to open a hot dog stand ;-)

Well, it's not really an argument if you aready know the right answers. Yours were pretty much the same as mine. No surprise there ;-)

I think you missed this "interesting" statement though:

The "are used as inputs to these logic gates in the silicon wafer" part...

and one comment on this:

"Since the devices are volatile, and infinitely re-programmable, just like a CPU, no physical modification of the internal wires occurs."

Though true, there is a logical modification to the "internal wires", as in, the PIPs get programmed to route the internal signals.

Regards,

Austin

Reply to
Austin Franklin

Yeah Austin, get your homework done and don't make me tell you again! ;)

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Good grief, Rick...I haven't done *real* homework in near 30 years!

Regards,

Austin

Reply to
Austin Franklin

I'll try to put some light here! The problem arises from using the same name for different things.

a) Semiconductor CHIPS: FPGAs, CPUs, DSPs, ..., are hardware. Try to eat them and you will understand. But please, don't sue me for your broken teeth.

b) Potato CHIPS: software, of course!

c) Rest: Well, the rest is ..., restware. Easy, isn't it?

PS.: Don't forget CHiPs, California Highway Patrol. If someone remember!

Luiz Carlos.

Reply to
Luiz Carlos