Multiple devices within one ISE project

Is it possible to use an ISE project to compile for multiple devices?

I happen to have a project that can target two different boards with different FPGAs. Most of the files are the same, besides the UCF. Do I have to create separate ISE projects? I'd rather have one project with different variations. But that doesn't seem supported. Anybody can set me wrong?

Reply to
Jean Nicolle

You can make both projects to point to the same source files, although the support for external files in ISE is not great either. It will work, but you probably won't be able to use some of the ISE features such as snapshots for example. Also, you might have to set some paths explicitly...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

If you're using ISE 8.2, I would suggest you create two tcl scripts that just set up the target device and then run your normal build on the same ISE project file.

Cheers, Jim

Jim Wu

Use a Makefile.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

A makefile for this build can be a fairly good answer with dual core computers becoming more common, as the two map and par jobs can be run in parallel. Write a makefile and use:

make --jobs=2

Make is a cool utility. Can be loaded with the Cygwin package on Windows, and is native on Linux. For more information on make:

Using make doesn't prevent one from using a Tcl script(s) for the actual builds as Jim suggested. If this was done the makefile might have just two items (it might have more as well):

../bld1/board1.bit : *.vhd *.v board1.ucf build.tcl xtclsh build.tcl board1

../bld2/board2.bit : *.vhd *.v board2.ucf build.tcl xtclsh build.tcl board2

Some explanation of this makefile:

1) The first line of each item is "the target" : "the sources". Make checks to see that the target is newer than the sources. If not newer or if the target does not exist, then make executes the commands on following lines starting with tab characters.

2) " " is the tab character. Required by make before every command.

3) xtclsh is the Xilinx Tcl shell, used to execute the script. ISE8.2 or later.

4) build.tcl is the script that builds the designs. This script is expecting a parameter to define which board to target.

Tcl is not as trivial to multithread as make is. On the other hand, Tcl is a general purpose language, so it can be used for lots of other tasks that make can't do, such as creating revision or timestamp values to be loaded into registers, parsing report files, multiple .ucf files in a design, etc. For more information on Tcl see:

Or the Tcl section in the Xilinx manual.

--
Phil Hays (Xilinx, but writing my own words)
Reply to

Hi, I had already met the situation you are in now 3 years ago.

The main culprit is that VHDL language lacks the capability of handling conditional statements.

Its drawback of VHDL put small company engineers in a very disadvantageous place.

The reason is in small company, one doesn't have manpower resources to develop a conditional statement program to permit VHDL to insert conditional statements.

It is very hard for anyone to imagine without such powerful conditional statement handling software, Intel would develop a multiple core system.

I mentioned the problem in VHDL group, but met huge opposing and even someone suggested to use C++, C language preprocessor program to handle VHDL problem, or use makefile. It is a shame for VHDL language.

Finally I wrote a software to do the job. Since then, I can easily develop several versions for one project using one source file: product version, ChipScope debugging version, simulation version and so on.

And more than that, I have put 4 project files into one big file, in other words, 4 project files are sharing one big VHDL file.

Without the similar method, Intel cannot manufacture so many product lines.

Generate/loop statements have very limited capability in reality. For example, it can only change signal's width in a module interface, but it cannot insert or delete any signals in the module interface.

Weng

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang

Sounds interesting to me. Would you like to contribute this or make a piece of commercial software out of it? I guess it would by no problem for the -> small companies to spende some Cents on a tool which saves hours of programming time over the months.

Currently I am handling conditional synthesis (parameters mostly) with Excel / Access :-)

Thanks J., currently working for a "small company"

Reply to
fpgaengineer