Microblaze uclinux Kernel panic

Hi I'm trying to porting uclinux using microblaze 4.0. When I try to run the OS I've got the following error message.

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 1f:00

Does anybody had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance, Francesco

Reply to
Francesco

Linux is up but it can't mount the root partition. What is your kernel command line? What is the "root=xxx" specifically. That device number 1f:00 seems screwy. It's not listed in include/linux/major.h.

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture

I had the same problem... what FPGA are you using? I am using the spartan 3e starter kit.

I spent some time looking around the web and I found a site which explains how to append the "root=" command properly; here is a link:

However, even though I followed the instructions, I still got a new error:

********* location VFS test name = Micr VFS fs_name = ash probe(0x21000000

VFS fs_name = 21000000 VFS root name

********* arena open of 1 failed!evice at location zero

VFS: tried fs_name = err = -19

Hope this helps; if you make any progress please let me know.

Thanks, Scott Nortman

David Ashley wrote:

Reply to
ScottNortman

How are you booting your system? The most common cause of this error is trying to use XMD to download the image.elf file, instead of the image.bin file.

Instead of

XMD> dow images/image.elf

you should do

XMD> dow -data images/image.bin 0xdeadbeef XMD> con 0xdeadbeef

(where 0xDEADBEEF is the memory start address)

For various reasons, XMD does not download the .romfs segment when you do the ELF download - you must download the binary image.bin instead.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams

Thank you John, yes I'm downloading the image.bin file with XMD dow -data image.bin 0x24000000 con 0x24000000 I'm using the ml403 and I've got ISE 8.1. I'm happy that I have "only" this problem.... The kernel is running and the only problem I've got is to mount the root.... I will try to insert some debbugging code to see why I can't mount the VFS on the RAM.

Thanks, Francesco

John Williams wrote:

Reply to
Francesco

Thanks Scott. I'm usimg the ml403 (ISE8.1) your link is very interesting. I just started to debbug the kernel. If I'll make any progress I'll send you an email. Do you use xconfig to menuconfig to build the kernel? I'm using xconfig... it should make any difference, but I have a friend with experience in Linux and he suggested to use menuconfig.

I also read that people has fixed this problem using microblaze 3.0 (I'm using microblaze 4.0) But I do not think this is the "real" problem, because the kernel is running... what I need to do is "only" mount the root in the RAM. Maybe using microblaze 3.0 we "mask" the problem... some setting will be different and this errod does not happen...I want to go in deep and fix it properly and then "share" my results with you.

Francesco.

ScottNortman wrote:

Reply to
Francesco

Yes, I am using mb 4.0.

I built the kernel using xconfig.

Please do keep me posted if you make progress.

Thanks, Scott

Francesco wrote:

Reply to
ScottNortman

Reply to
Francesco

Um, do you think maybe you can share exactly what you did to fix the problem? :)

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture
Reply to
David Ashley

Hi David, it was my fault. I never had any experience in the past with linux...

I had this problem because I changed the auto-config.in file without delete all the dependencies correctly... After changing the auto-config.in file My mistake was that I typed make clean and then make config.

this is wrong in my opinion.. what I should have done is to type make distclean and then make menuconfig

In this way I deleted not only the object file but even all the dependencies and all my previous settings

after that I never ever had any kind of problem! I added and removed MAC, GPIO, etc. uclinux is running now!

I hope this help :-)

Francesco

David Ashley wrote:

Reply to