low cost MPEG4 codec (from Atmel )

I don't work for Atmel. I am interested in knowing how they did it. (I am using Xilinx at this time - a few very expensive one.)

Since it is from a fpga company, I wonder if it use one of those FPGA 2 ASIC conversion process to get such low cost price pointer for such complex chip.

I wonder if has anyone done similar complex SOC chip with xilinx/altera?

.... The AT76C120 device supports high performance still-image and video decoding of media files encoded according to JPEG, MPEG4, MPEG1, Motion JPEG standards .... The AT76C120 is compatible with its predecessors, and is an integrated ARM7TDMI processor that controls the entire application and manages file-system, decoding and display functions. All necessary peripherals, including TV video output, USB, UART and SPI, and digital audio interfaces, have been integrated on the chip ....

-Tony

Reply to
T Lee

Back this summer Altera hosted a conference to promote using their device for DSP and Image Processing. One of the companies that came was BARCO. They license cores for JPEG/MPEG compression.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Simmons

Atmel does have FPGA products, but that is hardly their main product line. They have extensive memory products, processors, and application specific chips.

They have also been a significant custom/ASIC vendor and foundry.

What you are looking at almost certainly did not go through a simple FPGA-2-ASIC process, given the on-chip CPU is an ARM.

It may have been prototyped in FPGAs (as many ASICs are these days), but not with their FPGAs (too small). Either Xilinx or Altera would be more likely candidates.

On the other hand, the chip is mostly many existing IP blocks, so if their development flow is reliable enough, and their simulation/verification supports stitching many IP blocks together, it may not have been prototyped at all.

The low price point is because they expect to sell it in high volume, and it does not have any of the silicon overheads of an FPGA. Just like any other custom SOC.

Sure. In big, expensive FPGAs, with the ARM as an additional chip.

Philip

Philip Freidin Fliptronics

Reply to
Philip Freidin

"T Lee" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

No, you might use FPGAs for prototyping, but in the end you synthesize in an ASIC flow. The ASIC conversion improve pricing, but not down to standard cell pricing. Typically you use a gate array, and those are not as effective as standard cell. You hardly fit the AT76C120 on a single FPGA, and you are not going to get any good pricing for the end product.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

Nice chip, but it's MPEG-4 at 30 fps (good), CIF resolution (320x240 - yuck). They list one of its applications is a PVR.... Who's going to build a PVR out of that?

Reply to
Chris

They list one of its applications is a PVR.... Who's going to build a PVR out of that?

Maybe for a wrist watch.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Simmons