low cost Altera MAX II development kit with more I/O pins?

Hi, group, I am looking for one piece of low cost alterma MAX II (EPM1270) development kit. What I need is basically the chip mounted on a small board with JTAG pins and almost all I/O pins available. The $150 Altera kit provides only some 40+ I/O pins, with many features that I don't need. Does such a kit exist? I'd expect lower cost than $150. $80(with shipping) is OK, $50 is prefered. If you know of this product, please let me know. Thanks.

vax, 9000

Reply to
vax, 9000

I'll design and make you one for $80, if you can supply me with a couple of the chips (one for me and one for you). They are only available by the tray (90 pcs), AFAIK.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

The $80 was supposed to include the chip... Is it feasible for us to find enough people who want the chip too, to split the tray and the cost? I need only one or two. It might be OK for somebody to buy a tray, then sell the rest 89 pieces on ebay. I called a local supplier today but they said they didn't have the chip (though their website said they had). I searched through

to find them.

vax, 9000

Reply to
vax, 9000

The devil in all of the cost is the download cable. Often the download cable costs as much as the original kit price. So either you also need to build your own download cable or you are better off buying a development board that exceeds your needs.

Cheers, Jim

Jim Lewis
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Lewis

I have a supplier who can provide small quantities of Altera parts, but I'd have to order about 100 GBP worth, about $200 with shipping and tax.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Would you please quote the price for EPM1270? $200 could buy less than 10 pieces, I guess. So you (we) will have no problem to find enough people to split the cost. The problem might be the shipping from the UK to the US.

vax, 9000

Reply to
vax, 9000

A download cable might not be too difficult to make. I made a xilinx cable and it worked fine.

vax, 9000

Reply to
vax, 9000

I've got the artwork for one on my web site:

I also sell a surface mount version:

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I've just been quoted £20.67 ($39.57) each for 25 pcs of EPM1270T144C5ES! With VAT and carriage the total will be about $1200. I don't think it is viable.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

These people actually make what you are after:

Don't know if they can actually supply them, though.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller