looking for dev kit for ProAsic3

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a dev kit for a ProAsic3 A3PE3000 (microsemi) with some minimum amount of functional blocks around (volatile/non-volatile memory, few peripherals like UART, USB, SPI ...).

So far I've found this interesting piece

but something simpler can work as well.

The main reason is to use it as a testbed for our own processor core (an mblite with an extra fpu) so to have some rapid prototyping platform.

Any pointer?

Thanks,

Al

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Why not an Igloo2? I've pretty much dropped the ProAsic 3 from new designs.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Doyle

Hi Rick,

rickman wrote: []

There's a lot of documentation on klabs.org but it starts to be a little out dated. I'd love to work with them but our business is not interested in FPGA testing, with rather use the ones which have been already tested ;-)

Xilinx has always thrived to provide a way to perform partial reconfiguration, so with the appropriate control logic you could sense where the problem is and reprogram it.

The 'Curiosity' mission hosted Xilinx parts (Rad Tolerant) but reprogrammability is needed to correct faults in the configuration registers.

Currently, at least in Europe, the trend seems to push towards flash based products which provide higher tolerance to radiation and reprogrammability.

The great benefit of reprogrammability may be its biggest weakness as well, though. While the possibility to reprogram the target even in later stages of the project (if not after the launch!) may have two important consequences:

  1. not enough verification/validation (since there's always a chance to 'fix it later')
  2. features creeping

Current FPGA plans, as mandated by ESA, are well aware of this risk and boards continue to be very strict during reviews. Yet everybody is aware that if a bug *can* be fixed later *won't* be fixed now :-)

Al

Reply to
alb

That's why I said to get in touch with Rich Katz. He will have some info on what is what in that department.

This was not partial configuration. I can't say I really got the concept. I mean what is happening while the device is being configured? Who is running the store?

Red herring. That is an issue of your design process, not the technology used.

Bug fix is not feature creep. But the point is valid. Again it is an issue of the design process really. No changes unless they can be adequately verified.

--

Rick
Reply to