ISE & EDK on 64 bits linux machines - install story ;)

Hi,

I've just installed a brand new machine running Gentoo AMD64 with a 64 bits kernel and a 'multilib' userland. (That is, I have some emulation libraries for

32b apps). Here's my experience at installing ISE. I just want to say before hand that even if that's currently far from perfect, the installation of Xilinx product under linux 32/64 has gotten _MUCH_ better and is still improving

In my work, I need ISE 8.2, EDK 8.2 and ISE 9.1 all at the same time. Hopefully, with the 'settings.sh' mechanism of Xilinx installs, switching between version is really easy so no real problems there.

  • First I installed the ISE 9.1.

The install went pretty smooth. I just had to install the 32b emulation libraries which sounded weird but I though maybe it's just the installer that's

32b. However I was wrong and after the install, I realized that I had in fact installed the 32b version ... Apparently, the xilinx script uses `uname -p` and then match to "x86_64", unfortunatly I have a Core 2 CPU so it didn't match. After changing the script, I retry. Little problem, my registration ID is no longer accepted (even though it's the same one as the one I used for the 32b install) ... So I try the other registration ID (one without the simulator) and then it works.

The service packs needed the same 'fix' for the install script but once you know about it, it's easy.

Finally, not too hard ...

  • Second, ISE 8.2 & EDK 8.2

There I directly check to see how it detects 32b from 64b and depending on what you install (the base DVD, or the SP or the IP updates), the methods is different ... so need to be careful there as well. Once ISE was fully installed (that's the base DVD install, the service pack, the V5 LX patch, the V5 LXT support add on, the IP update and the IP update add on, quite long sequence !), I start EDK. First I notice there is just no 64 bit version of EDK so ... I fall back and install the 32b version. Unfortunatly the EDK32b _wants_ ISE32b ... So I reinstall ISE32b in another directory (again ... the whole sequence !). Once installed, I then compare both ISE64b and ISE32b to see the difference and I end up copying all files that are in my 32b install and not in the 64b to the 64b install dir. There is apparently no "conflict" (i.e. the 'data' files are the same for 32b and 64b, only the executables and libraries are different and they're in different directory). Then I just rename setting.sh and make a settings_32b.sh and a settings_64b.sh and .. voila ... both version install and both seems to work.

What's the point ? Well ... I just wanted to test the 64b version ;p But when I need to use EDK I need the 32b as well so that merged directory allows me to have both without duplicating everything.

Now that's done, I'll try the cable driver (both chipscope and impact) ... that's gonna be funny, I feel it ;p

Anyway, I certainly hope that EDK 9.1 will come in a lin64 flavour as well so I can drop the 32b install as well as all the 32b libraries I keep on my system "just for ISE" ;p

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut